Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard vs Mountain Lion

This thread is intended to reach all of the people who had Snow Leopard, installed Lion and realized it was a terrible choice, then reinstalled Snow Leopard.

So, here is my question: since I am one of these people, I want to know from the people described above if Mountain Lion is a good choice or should I keep my Snow Leopard?

I just don't want to do the same mistake I did installing Lion and going back to Snow Leopard.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:06 AM   #2
sidewinder
macrumors 68020

You should continue to live in the past.....

S-
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
You should continue to live in the past.....

S-
Are you serious or are you one of those super-dupa-funny guys who waste their time being ironic?
If so, didn't you forget to post a meme or something like that?

Hope you made a good use of your time in Earth, sir.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
tarryweather
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruleke View Post
Are you serious or are you one of those super-dupa-funny guys who waste their time being ironic?
If so, didn't you forget to post a meme or something like that?

Hope you made a good use of your time in Earth, sir.
Man, people on the internet are hostile.
tarryweather is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

I guess I'm confused.
You don't like ML and you revert to SL.
You post a message asking if it is a good choice.

It's your computer. Install what you want on it. Why are you seeking input from others when you stated ML was a terrible choice for you. What does it matter what others think?
mrapplegate is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6
AndersBrohus
macrumors regular

My friend got an iMac that came with Snow Leopard, and he never upgraded to Lion, and he upgraded to Mountain Lion and he said "My iMac hasn't became slower, maybe a little faster" and i own a rMBP and when i got it, it came with Lion and with ML its much faster! So i think ML is a good upgrade
AndersBrohus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Blackened Apple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
I guess I'm confused.

It's your computer. Install what you want on it. Why are you seeking input from others when you stated ML was a terrible choice for you. What does it matter what others think?
Hmm, re-read the OP, please.

To the OP, what exactly about Lion made you go back to Snow Leopard?
Blackened Apple is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:24 AM   #8
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Honestly, I find Snow Leopard to be the superior OS as I

1) don't care for the app store, and
2) would rather rosetta than iCloud.

But with a 2011 Macbook air, I don't know if I can go back. All-in-all, it's not bad though, it's better than Lion for sure.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Blackened Apple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Honestly, I find Snow Leopard to be the superior OS as I

1) don't care for the app store, and
2) would rather rosetta than iCloud.

But with a 2011 Macbook air, I don't know if I can go back. All-in-all, it's not bad though, it's better than Lion for sure.
SL 10.6.8 has the App Store available...
Blackened Apple is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
This thread is intended to reach all of the people who had Snow Leopard, installed Lion and realized it was a terrible choice, then reinstalled Snow Leopard.

So, here is my question: since I am one of these people, I want to know from the people described above if Mountain Lion is a good choice or should I keep my Snow Leopard?

I just don't want to do the same mistake I did installing Lion and going back to Snow Leopard.
Keep SL and forget about ML.
50548 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:30 AM   #11
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened Apple View Post
Hmm, re-read the OP, please.

To the OP, what exactly about Lion made you go back to Snow Leopard?
You got it.
I DIDNT install ML.
BUT, I installed Lion over my Snow Leonard and I didnt like it for the same reasons hundreds of people complained in this forum. So I returned to Snow Leopard.
Now, I want to know if I will have the same problems as I had with Lion.
IMPORTANT: you might ask "but I dont know which problems you had!"
Then, I repeat: this thread is intended to the people who installed Lion over Snow Leonard and had to return to SL because of the many problems.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
I guess I'm confused.

No, read again. He had Lion and disliked it; now he is asking if ML is worth upgrading from SL.
50548 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Dustman
macrumors 65816

upgrade. Expose's back to normal, and it's time to move on from SL.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:38 AM   #14
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
No, read again. He had Lion and disliked it; now he is asking if ML is worth upgrading from SL.
Yes, you got it too!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustman View Post
upgrade. Expose's back to normal, and it's time to move on from SL.
Really?
I know it sounds stupid to ask for someone's advice to install an OS, but I want to feel safe before wasting my time like I did with Lion.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Blackened Apple
macrumors regular

Quote:
You got it.
I DIDNT install ML.
BUT, I installed Lion over my Snow Leonard and I didnt like it for the same reasons hundreds of people complained in this forum. So I returned to Snow Leopard.
Now, I want to know if I will have the same problems as I had with Lion.
IMPORTANT: you might ask "but I dont know which problems you had!"
Then, I repeat: this thread is intended to the people who installed Lion over Snow Leonard and had to return to SL because of the many problems.
Well, the answer would be straight forward if you mentioned which specific problems with Lion made you switch back... Then we'd be able to tell you if they have been amended or not.

People had various different reasons why they preferred SL to Lion. If you don't mention yours, this thread is useless.
Blackened Apple is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:54 AM   #16
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
You know it's not going to be a good day when you can't read a simple post. Oops.
mrapplegate is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:26 PM   #17
sidewinder
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Are you serious...?
Yes, I am serious.

S-
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:24 PM   #18
lambertjohn
macrumors member

Past...future...who cares? just install whatever operating system works for you. I drive a 96 Volkswagen GTI. That's a 16 year old car. Drives great and no car payment!! Am I living in the past? Nope. I'm living in the "whatever I want to do with my life" present. My life is my life, nobody else's. Don't listen to all the nay-sayers on this forum; just do whatever makes you roll. You. That's what matters, all that matters.
lambertjohn is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:01 PM   #19
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Why was it a terrible choice? Too buggy? Software not compatible anymore? Really can't answer your question without knowing why it was terrible.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:15 PM   #20
OlegShv
macrumors newbie

I had 10.6.8 on my 2010 MBP until a couple of days ago. I upgraded to 10.8 and everything seems to work fine. The only glitch I noticed were some artifacts in Safari, but they went away just as unexpectedly as they first appeared. Overall, my systems seems faster with ML than with SL.
OlegShv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:09 PM   #21
penguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
Why was it a terrible choice? Too buggy? Software not compatible anymore? Really can't answer your question without knowing why it was terrible.
I tend to agree. I was using SL and upgraded to Lion immediately after release (2009 Mini w/ 8gb ram). Was I totally pleased? not really...it was slower, but not bad enough to warrant reverting. I was shocked to see the number of people who posted to complain about Lion, given that my computer was likely less powerful than what most were using/complaining about.

Either way, I was invited to beta test ML and did so...now THERE was something I should have taken more slowly...the initial release was great, but releases 2-4 were barely useable on my Mini...the current release is great. It's been a while since I used SL, but I don't miss it.

With any release, you take your chances with the .0 release...by .2 or .3 most bugs have been found/corrected...I found this to be the case with SL and L...and will likely be the case with ML, though so far my problems are minimal.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:57 AM   #22
Zmijutin
macrumors member

i got two 2011 13 MBP's one with i5 320GB 4GB and the other one is i7, 120GB SSD and 8GB. And the first one with SL and i5 uses roughly 200 threads and it has only 50 processes. But ML i7 runs with 450 threads and 100 processes. That clearly shows how much "cleaner" SL is. And battery (both have 10% wear) but with SL it lasts for 7:30 and with ML it lasts for 5 hours max!

I'm not defending ML nor SL just saying raw facts that i can see

Hope it helped!

Last edited by Zmijutin; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Zmijutin is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:06 PM   #23
Doc69
macrumors 6502

I think you can safely upgrade to 10.8. I never liked Lion myself but was forced to upgrade when MobileMe ended (to get iCloud compatibility).

Now I'm quite happy on 10.8. The upgrade was very smooth and everything actually seems more stable.

Couple of things: I wouldn't be able to use 10.8 (or 10.7) without an app called TotalSpaces. This brings back Spaces from Snow Leopard. The auto save function is awkward, but I'm beginning to learn to live with it. I still think Snow Leopard was better overall, but at least 10.8 is great compared to Lion. They fixed a lot of annoying issues. SMB sharing is gone, so a WDTV for example can not access your Mac over the network. And especially annoying is the large font size and gray theme of the Finder Sidebar and Mail. But it's not a deal breaker.
Doc69 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:01 PM   #24
sidewinder
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc69 View Post
And especially annoying is the large font size and gray theme of the Finder Sidebar and Mail. But it's not a deal breaker.
Go to:

Preferences --> General

Change the "Sidebar icon size" to "Small".

That was tough.....

S-
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:24 PM   #25
nzacl0
macrumors newbie

Well, I upgraded to Lion and then Mountain Lion even though I really liked snow leopard. Snow leopard seemed more 'raw' (no pun intended) than Lion or Mountain Lion, not so many cutesy features to get in the way, and less like IOS. Yes there are changes I hate (expose, Save As) and now in safari the dropping of the separate google search bar - but times move on.

It's my belief that new and different isn't always better, some things work fine just as they were designed.

The day they hide the filesystem like in IOS I'll switch to Linux full time.
nzacl0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion