Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hello,

It's my first post on this forum so please be kind!

I have a 24" iMac from 2007 (2.8GHz) which I'm pleased has lasted so long, but I have been noticing, more and more, that the fan speeds are quite high and in the end it makes my iMac quite noisy.

iStat pro tells me that the fan speeds are:

CPU: 1822rpm
Hard Drive: 2317rpm
Optical Drive: 833rpm

What's even more worrying is the temperatures (all in Celcius):

HD: 60
CPU: 54
Airport 63
Ambient: 27
GPU: 62
GPU Diode: 67
GPU Heatsink: 62
HD Bay 58

From reading around I've learned that HD temperature should be about 40 (C) and in general all these temperature should be MUCH lower, so I'm a little concerned about the health and future longevity of my iMac.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I have the tools to open the back up and remove any dust if there is any, but I've never done that before (the only change I've ever made was to add some more RAM about 2 years ago) and would prefer to take as little drastic action as necessary!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) slowing down your Mac or speeding up your fan(s) or causing more heat.

And if your Mac is overheating, it would shut itself down.
Here is some more detailed info from Mister GGJstudios.

As for CPU temp, that is an okay temp with my 2007 iMac in the summer (summer is hotter than winter on the north half of Earth), the fan speeds are a bit higher than usual though.

Have you tried an SMC reset yet?
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (Apple Support Site)

If the first link does not work, as the Apple Support Pages are bit funky these last weeks:
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (PDF from that Apple Support Page about resetting the SMC)​

Fuire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks for replying so quickly simsaladimbamba.

In terms of CPU usage in the Activity Monitor, nothing seems unusually high. Google chrome occasionally pops up to about 15%, as does my HDD backup software, but otherwise everything's fine when the iMac's not doing much (mostly using 0.0%, with a few 1-2%s).

Looking at the instructions for resetting the SMC, from what I understood it looks like all you have to do is remove the power supply for about 15 seconds - if that's the case then the last time I reset the SMC was about 2 months ago when I had the computer off and unplugged for about a week. The fan speeds have definitely been high for quite a while longer than that though.

Thanks for the encouraging comments about the temperatures though - it's good to know that it's not running too hot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.