Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
Hi there.

I've had an account with O2 that hasn't been used for nearly 2 years, and is eligible for an upgrade. The iPhone 4 I've been using (which was bought sim free) has had a different O2 pay as you go sim in it. Therefore I have sold the iPhone 4 in preparation of the new one launching.

Question is, do I per order on the day of release new iPhone only. Or upgrade on my original O2 contract....!? :confused:
Also which will be the quickest way to get the new device? Per ordering through Apple as opposed to upgrading through O2!?

Thanks, Stuart.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I will be giving my girlfriend my 4S soon, and I will sell my old iPhone 4... I am going to buy a GS3 outright, to use until I get the new phone. I am going to have it shipped to me. I am going to pass on the long lines this time around for sure.

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
The only problem I see at the moment is the nano sim, I suspect most uk companies for instance will at the point of the release will only supply a nano sim with a new contract, payg and sim only will follow a few weeks later.

So you could have a new sim free iPhone but no sim to put in it for a while.

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Similar thoughts here....

My Vodafone contract ended so I have the whole do I just get a 5 (or whatever they call it) on a contract or buy outright.

In the mean time I dropped a PAYG 3 sim in it and actually loving how much I get for so little, Its actually swaying me towards outright or keeping the iPhone 4.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
As soon as we are 100% sure of Sep 12 reveal. I am selling the old iPhone 4...

EDIT: Or as close to 100% as we can be... I know we are pretty sure now

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
The only problem I see at the moment is the nano sim, I suspect most uk companies for instance will at the point of the release will only supply a nano sim with a new contract, payg and sim only will follow a few weeks later.

So you could have a new sim free iPhone but no sim to put in it for a while.

Good point! I never thought about the sim card issue. To be honest if I did buy outright I'd probably change sim supplier anyway. There are much better deals now. Giff Gaff for instance. But yeah, maybe these companies wouldn't get the new sims until a while after.

So upgrading might have to be the option......

Stuart.

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Good point! I never thought about the sim card issue. To be honest if I did buy outright I'd probably change sim supplier anyway. There are much better deals now. Giff Gaff for instance. But yeah, maybe these companies wouldn't get the new sims until a while after.

So upgrading might have to be the option......

Stuart.

You must be my twin! Similar thoughts... I have just left giffgaff to go back to a month to month contract with a 3 sim only deal. (i found giffgaff (or o2) to have poor 3g.

However I want the iPhone 5 so I may have to get it on contract which I really don't want to do as contracts cost far too much with a new release, I may just buy sim free and play with it at home without a sim in it until 3 start giving out the new sim cards to customers.....

Dilemma, dilemma........I do wish apple would just stick to a simple sim!

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
You must be my twin! Similar thoughts... I have just left giffgaff to go back to a month to month contract with a 3 sim only deal. (i found giffgaff (or o2) to have poor 3g.

However I want the iPhone 5 so I may have to get it on contract which I really don't want to do as contracts cost far too much with a new release, I may just buy sim free and play with it at home without a sim in it until 3 start giving out the new sim cards to customers.....

Dilemma, dilemma........I do wish apple would just stick to a simple sim!

Hahaha. I think I've decided to buy it straight from Apple sim free. Surely pre paid suppliers would get the new standardised sims within a reasonable amount of time! Upgrading my contract will mean I'll still have to pay between £150-£250 for the handset. Then a monthly payment of £40 or something ridiculous like that!! :mad:

Like you've mentioned, Giff Gaff/ 3 etc seem to be the way to go here in the UK anyway.

Stuart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.