Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
itunes doesn't add them to a separate folder? what is best way move em to new pc when i get one? drag itunes library in a folder and then just put on a external drive

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
More of a "depends" kind of situation. If you have this box checked in preferences then you can delete the files from your download folder since they'll be copied to your iTunes library folder. I prefer this method so that I don't have to think about where all my music is, it's in one single easy to backup folder.

If that box is not checked then deleting the files will surely f s up.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 61

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
i really appreciate when people take the time to make a longer post for someone slower.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
I don't see it as a matter of slower, maybe unfamiliar. I hope I was able to help prevent deleting some good tunes. I don't know what I'd do without some of my music.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Basically, once the song shows up in iTunes, you can delete the file from wherever it downloaded to your computer (probably 'downloads' but could be desktop or somewhere else). Just make sure NOT to delete from the folder called 'iTunes media' or something similar. The folder you should not be deleting anything from is located at: Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music (at least this is where it is on mine and should be the same on yours). Maybe you could test it out by deleting a file and seeing if it disappears in iTunes. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.