Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you see Image retention on your rMBP with this test?

• Total voters

kpdillon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I have a a rMBP and it's absolutely gorgeous and it came with an LG screen. I thought I did not have any image retention on my display but I learned in another forum how to accurately test if my screen displays an image retention issue. So, following these somewhat extreme instructions I was able to finally see the issue. This test opened my eyes to the issue!

Now I am curious if others with either Samsung or LG who previously did not see any image retention issue if you see one running this test.

1. Run the command in a terminal window to see if you have LG or Samsung: ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

2. Set your desktop background to the darkest of the 3 solid gray backgrounds that come with OS X. Then, open up a picture of a black and white checkerboard with preview and blow it up until it fills the screen.

3. After about 15 minutes, minimize the checkerboard image and uncover your screen.

4. Report your results.

CB_1.jpg

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't have the patience to leave my MBP on a checkerboard screen for 15 minutes... but FWIW, my dock never "burned in" despite being up for hours, nor did any menu bars or other static UI elements. So if a checkerboard pattern for extended periods is what it takes to exhibit IR, then so be it.

Maybe I'll test later by setting it to that, disabling the screen saver, and going to sleep.

kpdillon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I don't have the patience to leave my MBP on a checkerboard screen for 15 minutes... but FWIW, my dock never "burned in" despite being up for hours, nor did any menu bars or other static UI elements. So if a checkerboard pattern for extended periods is what it takes to exhibit IR, then so be it.

Maybe I'll test later by setting it to that, disabling the screen saver, and going to sleep.

That's the point of this test. My dock never "burned in" either despite being up for hours too. In fact I never see image retention unless I run this test, so while I appreciate it takes some patience and is a bit of a hassle I'm curious to see if this happens with all screens or just LG.

appletwig

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Very faint image retention here, under normal daily usage theres no way of getting it to show up. Im guessing most people who claim their samsung screens dont have image retention are similar. You really have to look closely, with the same dark wallpaper to be able to see it. The other grey wallpapers are not capable of showing the image retention. As long as your image retention is not severe, i'd say dont worry about it, put on a pretty wallpaper and forget about it.

kpdillon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Very faint image retention here, under normal daily usage theres no way of getting it to show up. Im guessing most people who claim their samsung screens dont have image retention are similar. You really have to look closely, with the same dark wallpaper to be able to see it. The other grey wallpapers are not capable of showing the image retention. As long as your image retention is not severe, i'd say dont worry about it, put on a pretty wallpaper and forget about it.

Which screen do you have? Samsung or LG?

angelus512

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
I got some on my LG screen. Dissapeared mostly after about 30-60 seconds although around the edges rather than the center of the screen i can still see outlines of squares very faint.

I'm still within my 14 days. Wonder if I should organise a return or just deal with it. I mean I've never seen any other IR aside from this particular hardcore test. I had my image up for about 20-25 minutes on full brightness.

retinarob

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
VA
This UI is on my LG screen 80% of the time. Haven't had an issue yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 9.31.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 9.31.58 PM.png
    306.9 KB · Views: 5,614

kpdillon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I got some on my LG screen. Dissapeared mostly after about 30-60 seconds although around the edges rather than the center of the screen i can still see outlines of squares very faint.

I'm still within my 14 days. Wonder if I should organise a return or just deal with it. I mean I've never seen any other IR aside from this particular hardcore test. I had my image up for about 20-25 minutes on full brightness.

Angelus512, I am in the same boat as you. I have only seen IR under this extreme test. However, I am wondering the same thing given the 14 days because I have read from some other LG users that the IR progressively got worse. Not saying that will happen to yours or mine just another datapoint to consider.

angelus512

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Just tested this on my late 2009 MBP and it had zero IR problems at all. Even after 30 minutes not a single blemish.

Makes me feel more like returning this if a 2009 late model can have no IR issues but this one can. Even if they are somewhat manufactured.....

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
My order for a rMBP was placed this weekend. Hope I dont have any issues or else I'll return it as well. If you spend that much money on a machine it should work out of the box. If after one or two returns I'll just get a classic mbp.

californication

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I do have an LG screen and didn't know that I had this issue until doing this test. Will apple replace this if i bring it to the genius bar?

angelus512

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Bit of an update that I think is very relevant. After doing this test and getting the IR result I re-read what the original threadmaker posted about the dark grey background being picked.

So I ran it again except this time on the LIGHT grey background. After 25 minutes I can detect absolutely no IR at all.

This test only seems to work on that particular background in "such and such" a circumstance. Basically I'm saying is that IR is there but its so specific a process to make it show up that in normal life you would NEVER see it.

I've been totally happy with my flawless screen until running this test. BUt now that I realise more clearly that this test is so manufactured as to not represent real life conditions I'm starting to think I should just keep it.
BUt depends....on the fence about it.

kpdillon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Bit of an update that I think is very relevant. After doing this test and getting the IR result I re-read what the original threadmaker posted about the dark grey background being picked.

I've been totally happy with my flawless screen until running this test. BUt now that I realise more clearly that this test is so manufactured as to not represent real life conditions I'm starting to think I should just keep it.
BUt depends....on the fence about it.

Yep, might be just a characteristic of LG screens under very limited circumstances. A characteristic that samsung screen owners don't have to worry about for certain. However some other LG screen owners have mentioned that this condition had gotten worse over time. Hopefully that doesn't happen to too many more people. I too am enjoying my purchase I just want to make sure that I will continue enjoying it hassle free.

I may exchange mine because when I look at my screen from an angle I can see 3 clouds in the top center of the screen that are not noticeable when viewing the screen straight on.

Snesley Wipes

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
If you have to perform this silly test to see if you actually have "image retention" issues, does it really matter?

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
OP, to make it a blind (i.e. scientific) analysis, you should swap 1. and 4. in your list of things to do. Otherwise people with LG will be more likely to suspect image retention.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Trying to create problems that don't exist under normal usage?

I did run the test though, no issues, one samsung, one LG.

angelus512

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Lob: Did you pick the correct SOLID COLOUR background from the apple background SOLID COLOUR choices?

Needs to be the darkest of the grey ones. It does not otherwise show up.

angelus512

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Also to anybody reading this thread has anybody changed their native whitepoint on their LG displays?

I did a calibration and all seemed fine. Said white point was 6509. But on apple forums some guy gave me some shiz about it ;-)
Anyways I went back and changed whitepoint to 8000 and it seems a fair bit whiter. 6500 does seem a shade yellow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.