Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Hi, I have some training videos which are made in an MSS2 codec. They play fine in Windows, but nothing that I do can make them play on a Mac.

I have tried tools such as Handbrake to convert the file in Windows, but it doesn't accept them.

Does anyone know of a way to convert an MSS2 file? I have access to a Windows computer so can do it on there. A lot of the research I've done points to using Linux to convert, but I don't have access (or knowledge) of Linux.

Thanks.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
I can play them in Windows Media Player fine, didn't even need to install any codecs.

I think its the codec Microsoft use when making video captures of the screen.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Jesus what kind of mutant codec is this!? I get audio in VLC, but no video. I would use a video screen capture program in Windows if you can play the file back at full screen. Then convert that using MPEG Streamclip to whatever you need.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
You're going to have to use Windows Media Encoder on a Windows box to convert it. It's not available from MS any more (use google to find it), having been replaced by Expression Encoder (and the free version of EE won't read MSS2).

I pulled your file down and ran it through WME. It was near real time for the transcode. The output file was 182mb and required Flip4Mac to play on 10.6.8 (I could only output it as a WM9 wmv file on my system). VLC & MPlayer had issues playing it back.

If you have access to a Windows box, you're better off simply watching the videos on that very Windows box.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The free version of Expression Encoder could open the .wmv file using that MSS2 codec and did its transcode (to .wmv and VC-1 codec) just fine. It took around 20 minutes on a 2.8 GHz C2D in VM using one core.
That resulting WMV file played fine in VLC Player and could also be opened in HandBrake for further transcoding.

PS: I only have Perian installed, not Flip4Mac.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Well I'll be. EE wouldn't transcode the source file in my VM - threw errors every time I tried to do anything with it.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
The free version of Expression Encoder could open the .wmv file using that MSS2 codec and did its transcode (to .wmv and VC-1 codec) just fine. It took around 20 minutes on a 2.8 GHz C2D in VM using one core.
That resulting WMV file played fine in VLC Player and could also be opened in HandBrake for further transcoding.

PS: I only have Perian installed, not Flip4Mac.

Thanks, I'm trying with Expression Encoder 4 now. I've just got a quick question as I've not used this software before.

So first, I go to File > Import and select my file. Then I go to File > Encode and I see the clockface going round while it encodes. But where is the resulting file once it's finished? It hasn't changed the original or made a new one. Is there another step I have to take?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks, I'm trying with Expression Encoder 4 now. I've just got a quick question as I've not used this software before.

So first, I go to File > Import and select my file. Then I go to File > Encode and I see the clockface going round while it encodes. But where is the resulting file once it's finished? It hasn't changed the original or made a new one. Is there another step I have to take?

Thanks.

Click the OUTPUT tab on the right to specify an output folder. As for a specific preset for the settings, I did use the first one in the preset library (above the tabs).

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Thats excellent, thank you so much.

I've put all the files in there and they are encoding away. Only taking a couple of minutes per file (gave all my resources to VMWare). The resulting file went from 13.9mb to 58.5mb but thats the least of my worries.

Thanks again!!

AprilHare

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
To those who run across this thread, both MSS1 and MSS2 codecs are now supported by VLC 2.1; enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.