Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Hi there,

This question might have been asked a lot but I will ask it again, consider the fact that I am going to be majoring in Computer Science.

Do you, overall, think it would be better to have a good desktop with a cheap laptop or just a good laptop with an external monitor?

I am considering one of the two (I NEED a Macintosh to work with iOS Development which I have been doing, and enjoy, in High School):

1) Low end 15" MacBook Pro + 22" monitor for a total of 1800 USD before taxes
The overall advantage of doing this is everything is on one computer, which is a fairly big advantage. The disadvantages include: Lower specs for higher cost (Assuming the iMac refresh is actually an upgrade) and not the most portable laptop around.

2) Low end iMac (When the refresh comes out, assumes the price stays the same) and a HP 2000t-2a00 netbook for a total of 1550 before taxes
The advantage of this is it costs less and I have a machine optimized for Windows and a machine optimized for Mac OS X. The disadvantage of this is I will have to transfer any notes/files I put on my HP to my Mac. Another disadvantage is I would have to leave the computer unattended quite often, which might not be safe.

What are your opinions on what I should do/get? I am open for suggestions of other combinations that might work too.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
You're going to college?

Get a good laptop. Seriously, you don't want to bolt yourself down to a workstation for doing actual work and fuss with a cheap laptop for taking notes. If you can do everything on one machine, why not? My 15" MBP is working very well for me, without an external monitor. What would you use an external monitor for? I code on my MBP's main display without any kinds of trouble, even working with graphics and video can be done comfortably.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi there,

This question might have been asked a lot but I will ask it again, consider the fact that I am going to be majoring in Computer Science.

Do you, overall, think it would be better to have a good desktop with a cheap laptop or just a good laptop with an external monitor?

I am considering one of the two (I NEED a Macintosh to work with iOS Development which I have been doing, and enjoy, in High School):

1) Low end 15" MacBook Pro + 22" monitor for a total of 1800 USD before taxes
The overall advantage of doing this is everything is on one computer, which is a fairly big advantage. The disadvantages include: Lower specs for higher cost (Assuming the iMac refresh is actually an upgrade) and not the most portable laptop around.

2) Low end iMac (When the refresh comes out, assumes the price stays the same) and a HP 2000t-2a00 netbook for a total of 1550 before taxes
The advantage of this is it costs less and I have a machine optimized for Windows and a machine optimized for Mac OS X. The disadvantage of this is I will have to transfer any notes/files I put on my HP to my Mac. Another disadvantage is I would have to leave the computer unattended quite often, which might not be safe.

What are your opinions on what I should do/get? I am open for suggestions of other combinations that might work too.

I think #1 is your best option but why buy the low-end 15" MBP when a refurbished model(although older) will get you more for your money? Or is that what you're already planning on doing? If you really think you'll need the monitor(which I would use as well), then buy a refurbished 13" MBP that should still be able to handle your computing needs and you'll save a lot of money that way.

Basically, you don't have to spend a lot of money or get the highest end equipment in order to get the job done.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.