Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I'm currently using a targus optical mouse which works great but I have to unplug it every time I reboot because plugging it in prevents my mac from rebooting properly (strange I know). So what'a good alternative mouse that you guys would reccomend?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
WillMak said:
I'm currently using a targus optical mouse which works great but I have to unplug it every time I reboot because plugging it in prevents my mac from rebooting properly (strange I know). So what'a good alternative mouse that you guys would reccomend?

I have an old Microsoft Intellimouse optical mouse with the side buttons and scrollwheel that's held up for years now, and it's pretty awesome. Was great for gaming and everyday use.

I haven't used one yet, but maybe you should check out the Mighty Mouse, too!

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mighty mouse is soooooo expensive tho!!! But I guess good things must come at a price. Is there a solution for my current mouse problem? The mouse works fine when I plug it in. The only problem is booting up the ibook with it attached.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Is it that your iBook won't boot with the mouse installed, or won't wake from sleep? For the love of god, stop turning your iBook off constantly. It consumes almost no power when asleep. ;) Most of us use ours that way -- I only reboot for crashes and upgrades, and once in a great while for maintenance without an upgrade. I don't reboot my iBook on a regular basis.

*But* I don't think what you're describing should happen with a mouse. Try resetting the power management unit (PMU).

And as far as mouse price... come on... Macs are pretty. No one ever accused them of being cheap. Get over it. ;)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Is it that your iBook won't boot with the mouse installed, or won't wake from sleep? For the love of god, stop turning your iBook off constantly. It consumes almost no power when asleep. ;) Most of us use ours that way -- I only reboot for crashes and upgrades, and once in a great while for maintenance without an upgrade. I don't reboot my iBook on a regular basis.

*But* I don't think what you're describing should happen with a mouse. Try resetting the power management unit (PMU).

And as far as mouse price... come on... Macs are pretty. No one ever accused them of being cheap. Get over it. ;)

Mkrishnan!!! you've been advising me on my mac problems the whole day! I am starting to think you are a robot. ;) My ibook basically won't boot with the mouse attached to it not wakeing up from sleep. I'm too use to windows still to be constantly putting it to sleep rather than booting off!

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
WillMak said:
mighty mouse is soooooo expensive tho!!! But I guess good things must come at a price. Is there a solution for my current mouse problem? The mouse works fine when I plug it in. The only problem is booting up the ibook with it attached.

It's sooooooo expensive, it's almost another $25 over other mice!!! Seriously, $25 is not a lot of money. I've spent more going to the movies.

It's cost is a little higher because Apple thankfully spends more on R&D. This stuff doesn't just grow on trees.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mcarnes said:
It's sooooooo expensive, it's almost another $25 over other mice!!! Seriously, $25 is not a lot of money. I've spent more going to the movies.

It's cost is a little higher because Apple thankfully spends more on R&D. This stuff doesn't just grow on trees.

If the mouse was only bluetooth, I would be so on it.

Edit: I'm still thinking about it even tho it's nto bluetooth.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Get the Logitec MX 100 laser. I saw it last for $59. I have this puppy and it is by far the most comfortable, flexible mouse I have ever used. It's not bluetooth, but it is wireless. Downside is that it may be a little large for toting around with a laptop and it needs to have its own powersource. If that aint an issue for you, then this thing is the way to run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.