Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
so i was at the apple store today and i saw one of the genius pul out what looks like a 1 litre bottle of some sort of cleaner. he was trying to clean some dudes macbook, i overheard and he thought some mark was a scratch and the genius cleaned it right off LOL

anyways im sure there are some apple employees here who worked at a store, what cleaner does the apple store use? (whats it called)

Thanks folks!

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
As far as I know, the "general" cleaner Apple uses now is iKlear. It's available all over the internet now... Not particularly cheap but in respect to your Mac purchase, it's definitely worth it!

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Good question, I've wanted to know as well. I'll check out iKlear and see what this is all about.

Edit: I found one on Amazon, it looks like it has solid ratings and is around $20 http://goo.gl/7h5DH

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
As far as I know, the "general" cleaner Apple uses now is iKlear. It's available all over the internet now... Not particularly cheap but in respect to your Mac purchase, it's definitely worth it!

yes ive heard of iklear, can you get it in the big bottles that the apple store carries? assuming it is iklear?

----------

i guess i should also describe the bottle. it looks like almost a 1litre spray bottle. It was clear too (transparent) as well as the liquid in it was clear.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Do you have the glass screens or matte.
For glass that is really a waste of time. There are housespun remedies that yield the same result and cost practically nothing.
It is the same as buying an expensive cleaner for your silver spoon when all it takes is some water, salt and aluminium foil. I think it is a shame that such useless stuff can even be sold for that kind of money.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
yes ive heard of iklear, can you get it in the big bottles that the apple store carries? assuming it is iklear?

----------

i guess i should also describe the bottle. it looks like almost a 1litre spray bottle. It was clear too (transparent) as well as the liquid in it was clear.

Buy several bottles, put in a larger one.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
It's just glass cleaner, which is 99% water, 1% acetic acid (eg. vinegar). No need to waste money on buying expensive bottles of water with a drop of vinegar in it! (In fact, in the case of iKlear, it's 99.1% water.)

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
They used to use iklear. Just as I left a year ago they were switching to some solution designed just for apple.

xFiGGiE

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012
Forget all these expensive "liquids". Here is the best concoction and doesn't cost you $29.99 for glorified WATER.

If you don't have one laying around, go to the dollar store buy yourself a spray bottle. Next, acquire rubbing alcohol. Fill the spray bottle about 30% with the alcohol. Next, fill the remaining space up with water. For you people with 100 year old pipes with lead or dirty water/paranoia/whatever it is you have against tap water, use your fridge's filtered water, or a pitcher or buy a gallon or distilled water. Shake it up, spray away and wipe with microfiber cloth.

Won't leave streaks because rubbing alcohol evaporates way faster than water does. I use it on a daily basis on my rMBP and it's just as good as "iKlearlyWEareRiPPiNgYoUOFF!

:apple:

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I use 3M electronics wipes, and then a dry microfiber towel for a final polish (to remove any streaks). Works great, and cheap.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2012
New York
so i was at the apple store today and i saw one of the genius pul out what looks like a 1 litre bottle of some sort of cleaner. he was trying to clean some dudes macbook, i overheard and he thought some mark was a scratch and the genius cleaned it right off LOL

anyways im sure there are some apple employees here who worked at a store, what cleaner does the apple store use? (whats it called)

Thanks folks!

suprised you didnt ask about 2.6, good job.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Yeah it is like talking to a wall. Completely hopeless and a bit sad.
Let them waste their money.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
If you use any of the expensive screen cleaning products, you already do. All they are is 99% water and a tiny bit of acetic acid.

Yup and 5% isn't going to cause any problems and it's also antibacterial. That said I'm not using full 5% directly sprayed onto the screen obviously :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.