Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mossmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Got it today, drive looks good but did a speed test and it was maxing out at 30mbs.

I was expecting much higher from USB 3.0 :(

Is this standard for the drive or is it formatted wrong or something? very slow, i was hoping to run FCP off it as a scratch disk :(

Nov 28, 2010
located
Its a brand new rMBP
What about the rest of my questions? Did you use the USB cable provided with the WD Passport HDD? Did you format the HDD? If not, go to Finder, press CMD+SHIFT+C and select the external drive, press CMD+I and tell us, what it says after General > Format:?

Mossmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Sorry I was eating lol.

Yeah I formatted it from FAT as I need files bigger than 4GB, as you can tell I don't know much about HDD's :)

Picture here

wunog9.png

----------

Oh and yeah its the USB cable that came with it

Mossmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Yeah I used Blackmagic. On the SSD it gave me 400mbs, shame to kill my computers performance with 30mbs on my photos and videos :(

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yeah I used Blackmagic. On the SSD it gave me 400mbs, shame to kill my computers performance with 30mbs on my photos and videos :(

Try the other two, to see, if you get similar speeds? Have you tried the HDD on both USB ports? If it is still not going as fast as it promises (30 MB/s is USB 2.0 speed and even a slow 5.400 RPM HDD is faster nowadays), can you return it?

Mossmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Will do, Amazon is usually very understanding with returning items so I should be alright. Thanks for the help.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
make sure you're using the cable that came with it. it should have a blue plug that goes into the computer (probably just the inside of the connector will be blue). The end that goes into the drive will have what looks like 2 plugs next to each other. like the pic at the top of this page

i think i have the same drive, the first run with black magic was 30-write / 75-read. after a couple runs it was getting up to 75-write / 80-read.
(that first low number may have just been the drive coming up to speed)

I've got a USB3 external drive dock, that i put a SSD into, was getting about 110 read/write.

AurelMax

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
I have the same issue with two WD usb 3 HD...

I think the cable might be problem actually... another user reported having the same problem, changed the cable, everything went fine...

Didn't have the chance to try myself, if you do so, keep us informed

good night (well, depending where you live)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Something is wrong.

My MBP came with a 750GB HDD. Before I upgraded to a SSD I tested the HDD using BlackMagic Speed Test and was achieving around the 100 read and write. Feel free to check my most recent YouTube video - link to channel in sig - for the actual speed test.

I purchased a cheap USB3 caddy (Icey Box) and stuck my 750GB HDD into it considering I no longer needed it in my laptop. Another speed test on the now USB3 drive gave me the exact same 100 read and write - so the same speed as I was getting when the drive was in the laptop itself, showing the bottleneck with this particular USB3 drive is now the drive itself.

You should be getting more then 30MB/s from your drive, even if it's a 5400rpm (which it most probably is).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.