Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Albion
How to cut and join an apple lossless file? If I import an aiff file into audacity edit it an export as aiff will this lose quality?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
How to cut and join an apple lossless file? If I import an aiff file into audacity edit it an export as aiff will this lose quality?

With lossless files the quality will remain the same if al you do in the editor is cut out a section. But if the cut is done poorly you will introduce a "click" or "pop". One might argue that introducing an artifact is degrading the sound.

But make the cut on a zero crossing and you will not introdce the click

cyberpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Albion
With lossless files the quality will remain the same if al you do in the editor is cut out a section. But if the cut is done poorly you will introduce a "click" or "pop". One might argue that introducing an artifact is degrading the sound.

But make the cut on a zero crossing and you will not introdce the click

Appreciated.

How do I do the same but with an mp3 or other lossy file without the loss in audio fidelity?

SteppingStone

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2012
There are utilities which will allow you to concatenate mp3 files without decoding/re-encoding the files, so there's no loss in quality.

If you want to do more than than, i.e. actually cut out a segment from one and concatenate it with another file, I believe you'll need to decode the data first using some editor which understands mp3 (e.g. Audacity). This will degrade quality since you then need to re-encode it after doing the cut/paste work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.