Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbob500

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Hi, I recently bought a black iPhone 4 off ebay which the seller had claimed was in perfect condition, no scratches etc. On recieving the phone it was in perfect condition and everything seemed to be working. However when trying to use the camera yesterday I realised that the LED flash didnt seem to light up. I tried a torch app from the app store and the flash did light up but very dimly and started pulsing similar to this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEFWJfLr8ZA. The warranty seems to have expired and I would like to keep the phone if it is an easy fix as everything elese seems to be working and I got it and a good price. It seems to me the seller may have replaced the back panel off the phone and not properly reconnected a cable or something, or it is a fake back panel. Is there a way I can check if its genuine apple made? How about the apple store will they help me out or charge me for it? Any help is much appreciated!

jimbob500

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Yes they may charge you for it since its out of warranty. It may be easier to look at a guide like ifixit and just replace it yourself.

I'm going to try restore it to factory default through itunes before taking it to apple. hopefully that might help although it seems to be a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.