Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TotalNewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Hi,

I'm using my apple Cinema HD display with my PowerMac G4 (with AGP graphics) but every time I start it up I get the apple logo with lines through the screen adn then after the apple logo I get a back screen. I've tried the PowerMac with my other monitor and it works fine and I've tried the Cinema Display with my PC and it works fine. I am now wondering whats happened and how to fix it. I have included pictures. Any help will be much welcomed.

Regards,

IMAG0009 by ImanCillitBang, on Flickr

IMAG0006 by ImanCillitBang, on Flickr

IMAG0004 by ImanCillitBang, on Flickr

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
I bet this is a graphics card issue.

Sure looks that way to me, too.

OP, what kind of graphics card is in that PowerMac? Have you tested that Mac with a different monitor? If it turns out to be the graphics card, you can probably score a new one for fairly cheap from any one of a number of specialty shops on eBay.

TotalNewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Hey guys!

Thanks for the quick replies! It's the AGP model without gigabit internet. I've tested it on my other 23" 1650x1050 monitor and it works fine. I don't know what the problem could possibly be but If any of you guys can help I will be forever grateful.

Regards,

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm going to guess that this machine still has the OEM ATI Rage 128 in it. Those don't handle bigger screens very well. My Cube came with one of those and it presented problems with a 20" or when anything required 256 colour mode. If you can, you might want to try upgrading the video card. Even the slightly better Nvidia GeForce MX 2 will give you a performance boost. If you're willing to spend a bit more money, a Nvidia GeForce 6200 may be one of the best cards you can get for it without spending far too much money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.