Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
The yahoo IM program on the MAC is not as good as the windows version. I can't save my conversations and it constantly logs out and I can't even tell. I actually have to QUIT the program. There is no option to simply sign back in. And because I always have to restart the program, I lose any of my conversation windows that I had open. In the Windows yahoo IM, there was a way to see your history. Is there a better program that links to yahoo IM and can retain your conversation history? The app on my iPhone isn't great either.:rolleyes:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you'e saying that OSX version is worse then windows version, then it must be pitiful. I think the yahoo messenger on windows is awful.

I use pidgin, I'd recommend trying that over using yahoo's IM

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
The yahoo IM program on the MAC is not as good as the windows version. I can't save my conversations and it constantly logs out and I can't even tell. I actually have to QUIT the program. There is no option to simply sign back in. And because I always have to restart the program, I lose any of my conversation windows that I had open. In the Windows yahoo IM, there was a way to see your history. Is there a better program that links to yahoo IM and can retain your conversation history? The app on my iPhone isn't great either.:rolleyes:

It does save a copy of your message archive, local and on the online archive as well. Check in preferences.

But I have to agree other than that it's just plain bad, outdated, poorly designed, plus how Yahoo has ignored its Mac version completely. And Yahoo just keeps wondering why they are doing business so badly... it's simply because they are ignoring their customers' needs!

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
If you'e saying that OSX version is worse then windows version, then it must be pitiful. I think the yahoo messenger on windows is awful.

I use pidgin, I'd recommend trying that over using yahoo's IM

It works ok on my Macbook, but there are flaws. It will look like it's signed in when it really isn't. I don't have all the emoticons I had with the windows version. The iPhone version is very unreliable. I just got an update for the app, so I think it's a little better.

----------

It does save a copy of your message archive, local and on the online archive as well. Check in preferences.

But I have to agree other than that it's just plain bad, outdated, poorly designed, plus how Yahoo has ignored its Mac version completely. And Yahoo just keeps wondering why they are doing business so badly... it's simply because they are ignoring their customers' needs!

I looked in preferences and I didn't see any option for archive. Where is the online archive? I need to try another IM program. I really only use IM to talk with my Mom, so whatever I decide to use, I will need to switch her IM too. She has windows. I actually miss AIM's IM program. I liked the fish emoticons :)

No one really uses IM like they used to. It's all texting now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.