Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I've been using MacTubes a long time now and it has never acted this way before: I can't watch any videos at all (I CAN see them if I choose Flash as player - but not QuickTime). It's just black and not loading. I tried to go around the problem by simply downloading all the clips instead but then I get these error messages:

Bild_1.png

Bild_2.png

Do any of you have this problem, or maybe have had in the past? I think it's related to the 403-error-problem-thingy but I don't know for sure.

----------

(I forgot to mention that I have tried a fresh install and all simple things like that.)

MochaBook

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
I run the same version on the same OS and it works perfectly for me sent to quicktime for both streaming and downloading. I just confirmed this. I am in the US though so maybe it has something to do with some routing issue between Sweden and the youtube servers in the US.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Yeah, it's possible that something has changed in some code or permission... I will experiment further!

HanRou

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
I just wanted to say that I'm having problems like this as well. I get a "Cannot start download" message whenever I try to download a video. I just downloaded the update and that usually fixes it, but its still not working for me:confused: Oh and I am in the US too.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I've been using MacTubes a long time now and it has never acted this way before: I can't watch any videos at all (I CAN see them if I choose Flash as player - but not QuickTime). It's just black and not loading. I tried to go around the problem by simply downloading all the clips instead but then I get these error messages:

Do any of you have this problem, or maybe have had in the past? I think it's related to the 403-error-problem-thingy but I don't know for sure.

----------
(I forgot to mention that I have tried a fresh install and all simple things like that.)

I'm in US. Running same MacTubes version as you, but with 10.4.11. Everything working as usual.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I had no idea what to do or search for since online documentation about MacTubes is severely lacking - so I tried all I can think of. Since there's problems with something called permissions, I even repaired permissions in Disk Utility. I found hundreds of "user should be 0 but is 501" in that search, repaired what I could but no change.

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA
MacTubes seems to still be working for me here in most cases... both on my iBook on 10.4.11 and my MBP on 10.8.0 (say what you will, but there's no way I'm using Flash period when I don't have to), but not on the iBook under 10.5.8.

Tried changing the region when it wasn't working, but it didn't seem to help anything. Of course, I do suspect something's up with this particular Leopard install (been meaning to do a clean install again for ages now but it keeps getting pushed back by other things), but eh.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Same problem here, two G5s running 10.5.8, latest version of Mactubes, Australia. Been like this for several weeks... sometimes it does work though. But only occasionally.

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
5 by 5 here

Testing MacTubes as we speak on the PB in my sig, everything is running just fine, under 10.5.8. I am in the US as well. Will give it a go on my mini running 10.8.0 here in a bit and report back. I am also on the flash ban for all my computers when I can get around it. A resource hog no matter how you look at it.

~Drake

Hmmm... Sig seems to have poofed? :confused: Test machine is my 15" PowerBook 1.5ghz/2gb/320gig SATA drive.

Sumfun

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
I'm having the same problem as the OP. Mactubes worked well for me until a few days ago. I can view the video with flash player, but get the same error when I try to download. I'm in the U.S., running 10.6.4 on 1st gen Mac Pro.

I'm hoping this is just a case of Youtube changing something and Mactubes will come up with a fix in a few days.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
i had a simular problem with MacTubes i just uninstalled and reinstalled and that fixed it

if that doesnt fix your issue then delete the MacTubes folder inside your user Library folder (and maybe the System Library Folder) and launch it. YOu will have to set the player to use QuickTime again but that cleared everything up for me mind you i am running Leopard on 512MB RAM. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I have already tried a fresh install, I wrote it in the top. Furthermore it doesn't seem to be only me which leads me to believe it's not that kind of problem.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I have already tried a fresh install, I wrote it in the top. Furthermore it doesn't seem to be only me which leads me to believe it's not that kind of problem.

Have you found a solution yet?

As I stated previously, I have MacTubes installed on my MDD and it is still working normally. However, yesterday I downloaded a fresh copy and installed it on my 1.33 G4 iBook. It won't play anything but the Flash video versions. No downloading either. Same problems you (and others) have reported.

I compared (as well as I could) the files installed on each computer but didn't see anything different. Very strange.

I know I'm not offering any solution. I'm only relating my experience in the matter and trying to keep this thread alive. I depend on MacTubes to view YouTube and would not enjoy having to go back to the old way of watching it should MacTubes stop working on my MDD.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I have relatively fresh and clean 10.5.8 install on my PB. While I do not watch YT, I just downloaded 3.1.4 for testing purposes and it works like a charm. I cannot reproduce your error... Weird.

OP: where did you get your download from? I've DL'd from Macupdate. Maybe some sites have borked version of Mactubes? Just a guess...

Last edited:

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Have you found a solution yet?
No, no solution. No information either, I've read everything on the official homepage several times and googled my rear end off but - nothing.

I have resorted back to using AuroraFox/greasemonkey to download YouTube-videos for the time being.

OP: where did you get your download from? I've DL'd from Macupdate. Maybe some sites have borked version of Mactubes? Just a guess...
I have tried a few different sources, including the official homepage, MacUpdate and other random hits on google.

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Curiosity killed the cat with me as well....have never used that program before but decided to download it and have no problems using it. No errors or anything. Sounds like it could be a network problem to me.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Chris: T-that is... is... it's just not possible! :O

I'm currently on my PowerBook G4 (also with 10.5.8) and MacTubes (3.1.4) works as it always has here. It's just on my Power Mac G5 the problem persists.

KingKen1986: Do you know anything about network related issues of this sort? I'm all ears! I've never really cared about the details of networking more than how to get internet access so I'm stumped here. The only difference between my PMG5 and PBG4 in terms of network that I know of is that only the PMG5 have ethernet plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.