Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWilson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
I am trying to convert a searchable PDF to a searchable ePub. I scanned a couple of pages of a Greek textbook to PDF format and converted it to a searchable PDF in DevonThink. The output was great, able to search the document fine. Tried using calibre to convert it to ePub, but it doesn't maintain the searchability. Any suggestions how to make this work?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I am trying to convert a searchable PDF to a searchable ePub. I scanned a couple of pages of a Greek textbook to PDF format and converted it to a searchable PDF in DevonThink. The output was great, able to search the document fine. Tried using calibre to convert it to ePub, but it doesn't maintain the searchability. Any suggestions how to make this work?

I use Pages to export into ePub format, but before I started doing that, I used LibreOffice as a middle app since it includes a pdf editor. I would just import the pdf into there, then open the document in page and export to epub.

iWilson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
I use Pages to export into ePub format, but before I started doing that, I used LibreOffice as a middle app since it includes a pdf editor. I would just import the pdf into there, then open the document in page and export to epub.

Could you explain the second step? What do I do with the pdf now that I have it in LibreOffice?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Could you explain the second step? What do I do with the pdf now that I have it in LibreOffice?

Sorry, I'm an idiot. I forgot that pages doesn't do that. HOWEVER, download the application Calibre.

This application is an ebook management app that allows for importation of ebooks, and pdfs for conversion to epub format. I just retested it on a searchable pdf formatted syllabus and it works perfectly on my iPhone. All you have to do is drag the file into the main window and then select convert to epub format.

After it's finished, drag the file from finder into iTunes and then sync it with one of your devices.

Sorry again for the previous post where I apparently lost my mind.

iWilson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Sorry, I'm an idiot. I forgot that pages doesn't do that. HOWEVER, download the application Calibre.

This application is an ebook management app that allows for importation of ebooks, and pdfs for conversion to epub format. I just retested it on a searchable pdf formatted syllabus and it works perfectly on my iPhone. All you have to do is drag the file into the main window and then select convert to epub format.

After it's finished, drag the file from finder into iTunes and then sync it with one of your devices.

Sorry again for the previous post where I apparently lost my mind.

No worries, I really appreciate the help. Thing is, I'm using Calibre then opening the outputted ePub in various different ePub readers and none of them(including Calibre) are able to search it. I haven't yet tried it on my iPad, as I left it at home, and so will have to wait until later to try.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
No worries, I really appreciate the help. Thing is, I'm using Calibre then opening the outputted ePub in various different ePub readers and none of them(including Calibre) are able to search it. I haven't yet tried it on my iPad, as I left it at home, and so will have to wait until later to try.

Well I just tried something that might work for you. I installed the Russian input for my Mac, and then typed up a document in Cyrillic. Since I was usng the Russian input, Pages didn't automatically recognize errors and I was then able to export the document to ePub format. I then sync my iPhones through iTunes and that document on my iPhone is searchable when I use the Russian keyboard that I installed. Now when I use the default English keyboard and type in the search parameters, nothing comes up; even though the letters look exactly the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.