Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I purchased a mid '11 thirteen inch macbook air at the beginning of May. I absolutely loved it .... no issues at all. And then I downloaded my first hi def video from iTunes. It wouldn't play. I kept getting an HDCP message that my display doesn't support it (even though I was just trying to play it on the macbook air itself). So I called Applecare and talked for hours with a senior advisor. She couldn't solve the problem so I took it into my local Apple store which they suggested I re-install Mountain Lion from scratch. They did it and the problem was still there. They then said that it might be the connector from the motherboard to the display itself and that they would have to open it up. They called me 3 days later to tell me it was fixed. I was getting ready to go down there and the tech called me right back and said that it wasn't fixed ... he had just re-created the problem again and it was an intermittent issue. I asked to speak to the store manager and I told her the whole story and I asked if they could just replace the computer. She said that she would have to check on that. I got a call back about 20 minutes later and she told me that they would. I went down there and they gave me the replacement, brand new in a sealed box. When I got home and was installing my apps I realized that they actually gave me a mid '12 model. Needless to say I was thrilled.

I just thought I'd share this story for anyone reading this who might be on the fence about getting their 1st macbook. It's worth every dime.

wkp765

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
I'm not sure if they did not intentionally or if it was by mistake.
Nonetheless, what a great deal for you! Congratulations on your even newer new Mac! :)

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Very Nice. I doubt it is a mistake. From what I have heard/read, apple usual replacement scheme seems to be geared towards latest model of equivalent value. :)

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
I'm not sure if they did not intentionally or if it was by mistake.
Nonetheless, what a great deal for you! Congratulations on your even newer new Mac! :)

I don't think they can make such a mistake. Also, this year's MBA boxes are different from the previous ones :)

wkp765

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
I don't think they can make such a mistake. Also, this year's MBA boxes are different from the previous ones :)

Ah, I didn't even realize that. Then props to Apple, that just makes their customer experience even better!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.