Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedwolfe

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
My wife just got an iPod Shuffle. Wondering the best way to set her up on her computer. Let her sign into iTunes using my account or sign her up with her own account?

If she uses my account on her computer will that effect my account any? Not worried about her adding stuff to my iTunes as long as my iTunes still works properly with the added device.

Any upside or downside for doing it either way?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
My wife just got an iPod Shuffle. Wondering the best way to set her up on her computer. Let her sign into iTunes using my account or sign her up with her own account?

If she uses my account on her computer will that effect my account any? Not worried about her adding stuff to my iTunes as long as my iTunes still works properly with the added device.

Any upside or downside for doing it either way?

I would be sure to get her her own account. The only downside to that would be if you have to downsize your computer collection and then set up two iTunes libraries on the same computer under different user accounts.

The other benefit to this is that you won't have to uncheck the things that she downloads to avoid putting them on your device.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Also, you can authorize your account on her computer and vice versa. You can also share apps or purchased music this way. I do this with my wife and it works great (and it's perfectly legit).

ggosson

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
I would use your existing account. That way anything one person pays for, you both get to use, including music, television shows, movies and apps. This does not interfere with your setup and it allows seamless sharing between your iTunes library and her iTunes library, including the ability to copy content from one library to the other from within the iTunes application.

thedwolfe

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
I did set her up on her computer with her own account and afterwards wondered if I could get access to her music. So I guess the answer is no. Oh well.

Thanks for the post.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I did set her up on her computer with her own account and afterwards wondered if I could get access to her music. So I guess the answer is no. Oh well.

Thanks for the post.

Yes, you CAN do this which is what I was saying before. On her computer, have her log out of iTunes store and you log in with your ID. Then choose the Authorize this Computer option. Apple lets you authorize 5 computers per account. Next, do the reverse on your computer with her ID. Last, turn on Home Sharing. Then, you can freely (and legally) copy music, apps or whatever between computers. I do this all the time. Wife buys app, move to my computer/iPhone and not buy again (and vice versa).

----------

I would use your existing account. That way anything one person pays for, you both get to use, including music, television shows, movies and apps. This does not interfere with your setup and it allows seamless sharing between your iTunes library and her iTunes library, including the ability to copy content from one library to the other from within the iTunes application.

See post above. I'm happy to answer any questions!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.