Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
A friend send me a .mkv file that he wants me to burn to a DVD and will be readable on a regular DVD player. He doesn't have the ability to burn a DVD and I do so I told him I'd look into it. I have HandBrake but that doesn't seem to want to do it. Any ideas?

OSX 10.8

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could try Burn:

BURN_video-dvd_1.png

BURN_video-dvd_2.png

BURN_video-dvd_3.png

BURN_video-dvd_4.png

Also know, that it will take some time to properly transcode ("convert") the .mkv file to a video DVD, and that there will be a resolution loss due to video DVDs having a maximum resolution of 720 x 576 (PAL broadcast system, almost all countries on planet Earth) or 720 x 480 (NTSC, used in the USA and Japan).

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
No joy. It flops down a window from the top of the Burn app window and then slides right back up. Doesn't add to the queue or say anything about an incompatible file.

Nov 28, 2010
located
No joy. It flops down a window from the top of the Burn app window and then slides right back up. Doesn't add to the queue or say anything about an incompatible file.

In order to find out, what may be wrong with that video, you can use the following three applications to analyse it.
When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
attachable to your next post via the
2012_02_MR_attachbutton.png
button.
In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
Well, the video works just fine in VLC...

----------

Ok.... screw all that for now. I'm just going to load the video to my iPod Touch. I'm going to go buy a cable for it to plug into the TV via component. My question is, do I have to set something on the iPod to output to the TV?

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
Well, the video works just fine in VLC...

----------

Ok.... screw all that for now. I'm just going to load the video to my iPod Touch. I'm going to go buy a cable for it to plug into the TV via component. My question is, do I have to set something on the iPod to output to the TV?

The answer is no, you do not need to set anything on the iPod. I got a $40 cable from Best Buy yesterday with the 3 component cables and one USB for charging and it worked like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.