Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Hey guys.

I noticed my fan speed was at 2500RPM constantly and never goes down to 2000RPM (which I originally thought was the default rpm).

My question is, what is the default MBA fan speed on Mountain Lion?

This MBA was migrated from my old macbook which uses SMCfancontrol but that is now uninstalled.

Thanks for the help! I've search and found no luck on seeing any default settings numbers for a 2012 one.

korbearus10

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
California
Hey guys.

I noticed my fan speed was at 2500RPM constantly and never goes down to 2000RPM (which I originally thought was the default rpm).

My question is, what is the default MBA fan speed on Mountain Lion?

This MBA was migrated from my old macbook which uses SMCfancontrol but that is now uninstalled.

Thanks for the help! I've search and found no luck on seeing any default settings numbers for a 2012 one.

I have the 2012 MBA 13" i7 and my fan runs at 2000 RPM. My understanding is that ~2000 RPM is the default/lowest speed. I would suggest SMC reset, only because that's what I usually see people recommending.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Thanks for the confirmation!

Earlier I tried an SMC reset since it would seem an SMC would fix it. However, I must've not done it successfully as I just did another one after your reply and its now back to 2000rpm. Thanks! :D

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Here is a followup:

Now it's been great with it at 2000rpm. I just started to charge the MBA now and its shot up to 2500rpm!!

I believe I deleted all traces of SMCfancontrol and even got the SMC reset done. Now I'm stumped. Does the fan go up to 2500rpm when charging on default apple standards?

SpoekGTi

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The Netherlands
Here is a followup:

Now it's been great with it at 2000rpm. I just started to charge the MBA now and its shot up to 2500rpm!!

I believe I deleted all traces of SMCfancontrol and even got the SMC reset done. Now I'm stumped. Does the fan go up to 2500rpm when charging on default apple standards?

I wouldnt know, basicly i dont care if it's running at 2K or 2.5K cause you are not going to hear it anyways. It's like your car idle'ing or revving top, you should be worried if the fan hit 6K rpm, and your temps are still round 50 degrees now that would be a real issue or other way round 2.5K rpm and Cpu frying away at 100 degrees.

But im not a bad lad any how so i will check tonight if the speed differs from unplugged or plugged in and i'll post here.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
I wouldnt know, basicly i dont care if it's running at 2K or 2.5K cause you are not going to hear it anyways. It's like your car idle'ing or revving top, you should be worried if the fan hit 6K rpm, and your temps are still round 50 degrees now that would be a real issue or other way round 2.5K rpm and Cpu frying away at 100 degrees.

But im not a bad lad any how so i will check tonight if the speed differs from unplugged or plugged in and i'll post here.

I'm not worried about it. I'm more curious if that is what Apple intended to do. :) Thanks

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
I have a 2006 BlackBook and mine runs at 2700-800 normal web browsing and goes up to 5000 when watching videos

SpoekGTi

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The Netherlands
I'm not worried about it. I'm more curious if that is what Apple intended to do. :) Thanks

Well, i've checked mine out for you today, even better it's on the charger right now and my rpm sticks round 2K. So for mine doesn't change anything

And i got open:

6 tabs in safari
Teamviewer windows to my mini
Mail
Agenda
Twitter
Console
and Ventrilo

CPU usage = 10% give or take a bit

CPU Temp = a steady 62 degrees C

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Here is a followup:

The fan speed will increase when charging if the battery temps start to effect the processors. I see it happen many times, but not always.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Just wondering what the best app to do fan speed checking and changing on the 2012 MBA is? I'm on Mountain Lion, and used to use SMC Fan Control, but the last OSX I used was 10.7 I think. I don't think SMC has been updated for 10.8?

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Thanks guys. The RPM has been a steady hover around 2000RPM and occasionally jumps to 2500RPM during charging.

This is such a huge difference compared to my 08 alum macbook which goes into nuclear meltdown fan speeds when it plays flash. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.