Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
So, we've all seen the rumored images of what the iphone 5 will look like, and it obviously resembles the 4/4s quite a bit IMO...

Does anyone remember back when the iphone 4/4s was about to come out and the leaked images that model had? How accurate were they? Just to get a gauge as to whether or not to believe these rumored images of the iphone 5 below are accurate... (I guess I just don't want to believe the iphone 5 will look like the below since it so closely resembles the iphone 4/4s)

xlarge.jpg

party

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Hong Kong
The iPhone 4 prototype was left in a bar by an Apple worker then picked up by a man who sold it to Gizmodo. Search "lost iPhone 4, Gizmodo" and I think you'll get what the story is about.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Ah yeah I remember that. I guess all these rumors so far are true. iPhone 5 is just an elongated iPhone 4.

Lame

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Yeah it's fair to say it'll be a massive shock if the iPhone 5 isn't anything more than a iPhone 4L

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iPhone 3G - case leaked, true
3GS - case leaked but with a matte finish, components were also true
4 - prototype, 100% true
4S - lots of connectors, 9to5 leaked the same design, true

...I see a pattern here.

5 - lots of leaks, true

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Of course the front will resemble the previous iphone, well not only iphones, but every smart phone with multitouch. It looks like iphone. All glass with a button. What do u expect? The screen and the buttons become the shape of a triangle?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Wasn't there tear-drop shaped renderings at on point? So the popular rumors are not always accurate.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Why are u so disapointed about it? It is a good thing for me since I don't want to be like android manufacturer redesigning their lines zillions time in couple months.
Yeah, because in September we have had the same design for over 27 months. And if the rumours are correct, we will have a similar design for at least another 12 months (if not 24, of there's going to be a -S upgrade). That means that we'll have a similar design for 39 to 51 months.

But hey, we're talking here about just a 'couple of months'. Why would we want a new design after just 27 months?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Are you serious about this? While 9to5 was accurate, most of the 4S rumors were so far off it was ridiculous. So many sites wrote about how the design was going to be radically different with a 4" screen, NFC, LTE, etc. There were mockups and some case designers had geared up with the supposed design.
If the rumors are accurate, then great. If not, the disbelievers are going to be laughing their asses off.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Wasn't there tear-drop shaped renderings at on point? So the popular rumors are not always accurate.

Renderings/Rumors do not equal part leaks.

iPhone 4 parts leaked before Gizmodo's finding (both were real).
iPad 2 parts leaked (real).
iPhone 4S parts leaked but people just thought they belong to iPhone 4 (real).

You can't necessarily stop part leaks of million+ iPhones in preproduction. There is always one person willing to risk their job for selling the parts to a website/case-maker.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In the past all of the leaked "REAL", not rendered, photos have been actual parts.

Last edited:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
At this point there should be little doubt of what the next iPhone will look like
I think the evidence is just too strong
Those that are discounting the many leaked parts, etc. are in denial IMO

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Yeah, because in September we have had the same design for over 27 months. And if the rumours are correct, we will have a similar design for at least another 12 months (if not 24, of there's going to be a -S upgrade). That means that we'll have a similar design for 39 to 51 months.

But hey, we're talking here about just a 'couple of months'. Why would we want a new design after just 27 months?

Well I don't mind if they dont change it! If it sells and works it is fine with me.

Rather than being piss cuz I just bought the newest android phone that will be oudated in couple months, and thank god if I even get the latest firmware.

Same ways go to macs. They dont redesign macs for years why not doing the samething for an iphone?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
At this point there should be little doubt of what the next iPhone will look like
I think the evidence is just too strong
Those that are discounting the many leaked parts, etc. are in denial IMO

I agree.

I'm confident they have a redesigned iPhone ready, but putting in a larger screen into the iPhone 4 design while making it a unibody is progress towards using the new design next time.

At the end of the day, the screen is the important thing. The shape of the device isn't that big a deal, since there's only 1 button on the front which is always flat.

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I just don't understand what everyone really expects the next iPhone to have that's going to be unbelievably mind blowing.

I believe the leaked photos are close if not the real thing and like the design myself.

Those that are expecting some CRAZY new design are in for some dissapointment and the "I can't believe this is all we get..." threads will flood the MR forums the evening of the event no doubt. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm just glad that I'm upgrading from my 3GS and this will be a pretty big upgrade for me, instead of expecting more after owning the 4/4S.

I think were nearing that plateau for smartphones for a few years now where we will just see spec bumps as far as nicer display's, longer lasting batteries and things like that.

Eventually we'll see another day as exciting as the original iPhone launch, maybe it will be technology like 'google glass' which I think is still years from perfecting but a good start in mobile tech that you wear.

Just my 2 cents.

Can't wait for the new iPhone though.

(Oh and in case it hasn't been mentioned in this thread already. "why do people think it will be called iPhone 5??? That's just stoopid!")

^^^
sarcasm :p

Simbazz

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Lancashire, England

Bit of a silly post really, I'll explain why.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Which is very apt in this scenario.

My understanding of the smart phone world is rectangular bricks of differing colours and software. They're generally all the same. The New iPhone will of course be what we've seen and I'm happy about that as I love the iPhone 4/4s feel.

I've had my MacBook Pro for a number of years now, put it next to a new MBP and you won't tell the difference apart from mine being well used and a bit battered and bruised (it's taken many trips to the floor from differing heights and has had an asortment of drinks spilt on or near it)

The iPhone will evolve but like Apple is famous for, it'll evolve at a slow speed. Don't like it, jump ship. Long live the next 24 months!

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
iPhone 3G - case leaked, true
3GS - case leaked but with a matte finish, components were also true
4 - prototype, 100% true

...I see a pattern here.

5 - lots of leaks, true

Someone with some sense!

The whole 4S leaked, it's just everyone thought it was a 4 with a different model #....

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
What we've seen leaked is exactly what we are getting... But it makes sense; business wise it's the best desicion possible! You'd have to be an idiot to think apple actually puts innovation ahead of profits!! They know if they barely tweak a phone millions will buy It and they will make even more money! As sad as it is, it's what we are getting and we gotta live with it or change to something else! I believe once apples marketshare and profits begin to decrease, a redesign or new technology that's been kept secret will be revealed, but untill apple will do what it does best: make a ****ton of money!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.