Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semiauto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
I am about to perform my first upgrade on my Macbook Pro (installing 16GB of RAM) I've read several articles and threads about the safest ways to "operate" on a Mac, but I have some final questions.

1. I know the computer should be turned off, but should it be plugged in to its charger also?

2. If I have an anti-static strap, where is the best place on the computer to clip it to exactly?

Thank You

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You should unplug the computer, and if you use a static strap, any part of the computer's casing will work.

jW

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Where should I clip it to then? I don't have an anti static mat or anything like that.

Your wrist? If only there were somewhere you could search for ways to discharge static electricity...actually, that's crazy, a a site like that would get like a googol hits a day.

markp99

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
New Hampshire
Wrist strap should be attached to YOU and to GROUND, not to your computer.

The center screw of a common electrical outlet is commonly = ground (assuming properly wired).

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Wrist strap should be attached to YOU and to GROUND, not to your computer.

The center screw of a common electrical outlet is commonly = ground (assuming properly wired).

Typically, a computer's outer shell is considered sufficient to dissipate the static shock that may be produced by a person working on their computer. Commonly, it's recommended that you simply touch the outer shell briefly before touching any components, for that exact reason. Since this is a quick and fairly simple operation, I suspect it would be more than sufficient.

jW

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
^^ this.

somehow telling someone to put their finger next to an electrical outlet doesn't seem like a sound advice..

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
^^ this.

somehow telling someone to put their finger next to an electrical outlet doesn't seem like a sound advice..

Well, it's not exactly what was being said, I don't think. It's true that the screws in the center of an outlet cover are usually connected to ground, or the third pin in the US outlets, but if nothing else it's not really the easiest approach.

jW

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Just touch the case before you start touching any of internal parts of your computer or RAM.

Also, finished circuit boards are usually fairly well shielded against ESD. Bare components are much more susceptible to damage, but you're not handling RAM chips that haven't been soldered to the PCB yet, so you should be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.