Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
http://barkplug.in

After installation, you need to open Growl, go to settings and change the default style to Bark. And viola - Growl notifications are now in your Notification Centre on an app-by-app basis.

I'm very impressed.

Last edited:

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
This seems better than Hiss, because you can have a lot more control. Hiss just diverts all Growl notifications to NC, but you have absolutely no control as to what apps you don't get notifications for.

Thanks for the link. :cool:

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I uninstalled Hiss in favor or Mountain Growl a few days ago, but Bark seems like it's even better as notifications come from the correct app, not just generically from growl. Thanks for the link.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
this made me buy Growl.

and after using it, i have no regrets, this works the way im sure it will work when these apps support notification centre natively.

it makes waiting pointless!

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
i too downloaded growl for this and installed it .. the preview works fine from the growl menu but apps like transmission are now shwing me no notifications at all!?

Deep_Thought

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Is anyone else having trouble installing this besides me? I install it and open Growl, and there is no Bark display option.

Looking at the Dev's twitter feed its down to permissions - sudo chmod 755 /Library/Application\ Support/Growl/Plugins should fix it - worked for me.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Looking at the Dev's twitter feed its down to permissions - sudo chmod 755 /Library/Application\ Support/Growl/Plugins should fix it - worked for me.

Also you may need to restart Growl for the option to appear. The devs are updating the installer to deal with the permissions issue as we speak…

I would strongly recommend that all purchase Growl. For what that team have done to the Mac OS ecosystem they deserve a couple of dollars from us!

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I would strongly recommend that all purchase Growl. For what that team have done to the Mac OS ecosystem they deserve a couple of dollars from us!

I'm still using 1.2 on ML and it works fine - why pay for a downgrade (the subsequent versions of Growl always had bugs, and I don't like how they made it an .app) when 1.2 works perfectly?

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Cannot get this working for me. It looks really awesome too. Tried that permissions fix also.

Every notification just comes through with the default growl style even though it is set to bark. :confused:

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Cannot get this working for me. It looks really awesome too. Tried that permissions fix also.

Every notification just comes through with the default growl style even though it is set to bark. :confused:
I am having the exact same problem. Also, after a notification is triggered the default style switches back to "Smoke" automatically. The preview option in Growl doesn't work either when the style is set to "bark".

I'm using Growl 1.2.2 and Mountain Lion.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
I am having the exact same problem. Also, after a notification is triggered the default style switches back to "Smoke" automatically. The preview option in Growl doesn't work either when the style is set to "bark".

I'm using Growl 1.2.2 and Mountain Lion.

I also cannot see the bark preview and am using 1.2.2. Anybody actually know if it properly works with this Growl version?

EDIT: So I upgraded to 1.4 and now I can successfully get bark to work with the preview option but when an actual real notification comes through it still reverts to using the old style of growl notifications.

Last edited:

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
EDIT: So I upgraded to 1.4 and now I can successfully get bark to work with the preview option but when an actual real notification comes through it still reverts to using the old style of growl notifications.
Thanks for clearing that up, because i was seriously considering buying Growl, thinking that 1.4 would solve this problem.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
i think since updating to 10.8.1, growl has stopped working! :(

i was getting so used to actually making use of notification center.

anyone else's growl not working since 10.8.1?

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
i think since updating to 10.8.1, growl has stopped working! :(

i was getting so used to actually making use of notification center.

anyone else's growl not working since 10.8.1?

Growl works fine for me, as long as I'm not using Bark. I think 10.8.1 broke Bark, not Growl.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Growl works fine for me, as long as I'm not using Bark. I think 10.8.1 broke Bark, not Growl.

you are right! bark just released an update, im not sure if it fixes it but im going to test!

i can confirm bark is working again with their latest update.. lol probably not for long with 10.8.2 coming in soon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.