Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espiritujo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
columbia, sc
So I've been looking lately at videos of the Day Z mod on youtube. If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, its the zombie mod for Arma II for Windows. I was wondering some of your opinions on it. Do you think the gameplay's longevity of it is worth partitioning my hard drive and installing Windows 7 so I can play this game? It seems like an amazing concept, but I feel like after a while, the gameplay can seem to get a bit boring and lackluster. Also, is there a single player mode? I know there arent any missions, but I mean is there a way I can play without having to be in an online server? And if you leave an online server, when you rejoin do you start out with the equipment that you previously had before you disconnected? I know when you die, you lose all your equipment, but what about when you disconnect?

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Yes it is worth installing windows for.

It can get a bit boring once you manage to accumulate lots of great items if you don't take any risks and rest on your laurels.

There is no single player mode, I play mostly solo though and find it fun and very challenging, it's easy to avoid people, it is also easy to find people if you really want to and know where to look.

When you log out of the game your character is saved to central server, next time you log in regardless of server you will spawn with the same items you had and in the same location. The only thing that remains on an individual server is tents and vehicles.

You will only lose everything if you die.

Duouk2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
UK
Definitely worth it, it's one of the most intense games I've played in years. I did stop playing for a few months since it was impossible to get on a server for a while but I've come back to it now and loving it. It seems like it's become even more brutal since you no longer start with a gun/water bottle.

As mentioned it's online only but you don't come across human players that much (though it can be very handy when you do ;)).

espiritujo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
columbia, sc
Definitely worth it, it's one of the most intense games I've played in years. I did stop playing for a few months since it was impossible to get on a server for a while but I've come back to it now and loving it. It seems like it's become even more brutal since you no longer start with a gun/water bottle.

As mentioned it's online only but you don't come across human players that much (though it can be very handy when you do ;)).

Will I be able to run this game on good settings? My specs are on my signature

Duouk2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
UK
Yeah, though the game isn't that good looking anyway imo so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I only have a 6490m with 256MB which seriously handicaps me in cities so I do personally lower the res and some of the settings to keep my fps up but you should be fine with a 2012 MBP.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I've just downloaded the game to run in bootcamp on my 2011 mini. Having some issues getting it up and running due to some shader and bad serial errors. But hopefully soon. I've been watching FrankieOnPC's videos on YouTube and it looks quite intense. Trying to get some time to play with two of my buddies whenever I get it up and running.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I heard they're releasing or released a stand alone version called WarZ or something like that. anyone know?

mabaty

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
Boise, ID
WarZ is by another developer, I'm playing the beta now and it is pretty fun, much more refined over DayZ which is a mod, while WarZ is not. DayZ is more simulation, while WarZ is more of a game if that makes sense.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I heard they're releasing or released a stand alone version called WarZ or something like that. anyone know?

Yeah DayZ should be released as a stand alone in December I believe. I've only played it for about 4 or 5 hours total so far and I can already tell my mini is not up to the challenge. I've got a 2011 2.5Ghz i5 with the dedicated graphics card. I've turned many settings down or disabled and I still experience a bit of lag especially in the presence of zombies, which makes it difficult to aim at them. I'm running Win 7 through bootcamp and even made a virtual disk on there to mount the game onto so my HDD speed would not be a bottleneck for me. I'm looking into building another gaming desktop. This would actually keep me interested on a long term basis to make it worth while.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Isnt these the game that is full of kids messing up with people ? Saw a video of a guy that got turned into a goat.

No fun in that.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Haven't heard of that. But there have been cases of hackers coming in and mass killing all the players or just being a general pain in the ass.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
There is a video of a hacker turning a guy in to a goat, it's pretty funny.

I am not playing it until the standalone version comes out but last time I played I encountered 1 hacker in about 48 hours of gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.