Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
DC
About two weeks ago, my iPod (3G, 15 gig) started freezing while playing a song. It would still be playing, but would not respond to any button presses. This happened several times; usually i just switched the hold switch on and off until it became responsive again.

Last week, it happened again in the middle of a podcast, but this time I could do nothing to bring it back. I docked it several times, and it would successfully sync, but still the buttons refused to respond. I then used the latest iPod Updater to restore it. It did restore successfully, then I waited while it put my iTunes library back on. This is the farthest it ever progressed. It got stuck on the language selection screen, then would automatically turn off after a minute or two. To turn it back on, I had to toggle the hold switch. Occasionally I would succeed in making it switch between highlighting english and the language below it, by fiddling with the scroll wheel, but the select button would still not respond. Since no buttons would respond, I obviously could not reset it, although I tried over and over again. Then I decided to leave it a week to drain the battery, so it would have to reset.

Now we arrive at today. As I planned, it did reset, but it is still stuck in the same place, and I am out of ideas. Since I bought my iPod nearly two years ago, would Apple be willing to help me? Please give me advice about what I should do. Thanks.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
It depends on if you got applecare or not. With apple care they will help you becuase you would have 3 years of coverage. If not then well... your screwed. You could end up selling it on ebay for $25 or something like that. Sorry

bluebull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
DC
Yeah, I don't have applecare. I don't think it was even available when I got it.

The worst part is, I can't send it in to get the battery replaced, because I still get 6+ hours.

Applespider

macrumors G4
The reset after letting the battery drain is usually the charm. Can you let it drain, then try plugging it into your Mac and using Disk Utlity to reformat and the HD in case there are bad sectors on it? Then restore the firmware and see if you get any further.

As far as Apple helping you out goes, you could try going to a Genius Bar if you have a store near you. They won't replace it without Applecare but they might be able to suggest something.

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Try draining the battery completely then turning it on also try upgrading the firmware

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Here's what i'd try:

1. Open iPod Updater on your mac. Make sure you have the latest version.
2. Plug in iPod
3. Toggle the hold switch on then off.
4. Hold down both 'Menu' and 'Play/Pause' buttons for a good 10-15 seconds.
5. iPod should display Apple logo, which shows its now restarting.
6. Hopefully it will show up in the Updater program and allow you to 'Restore'

Not sure but you may have already tried this.

justjess22

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2004
kentucky
Doing the hard reboot for iPod

Anytime my iPod mini has frozen (only twice in one year)
I've held down the MENU and CENTER button at the same time.
HOLD IT until it blanks out and reboots, this can take several seconds.
It's always worked for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.