Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Yoyodyne
macrumors member

Internet Shortcuts on Safari/Firefox

I have been unsuccessful at creating internet shortcuts on Safari or Firefox. On XP the DeskCut extension is great, but on OS X I only get a long error. I have dragged shortcuts over the network and Safari can open them as .url files, but Firefox chokes.

Is there a hack in Safari or has anyone been able to get DeskCut to work?
Yoyodyne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:03 PM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne
I have been unsuccessful at creating internet shortcuts on Safari or Firefox. On XP the DeskCut extension is great, but on OS X I only get a long error. I have dragged shortcuts over the network and Safari can open them as .url files, but Firefox chokes.

Is there a hack in Safari or has anyone been able to get DeskCut to work?
What exactly does Deskcut do? Allow you to right click on a link in Firefox and then save a shortcut to it on the desktop? I'm confused. The following procedure works in both Safari and Firefox for me on my Mac:

If I want a shortcut for the current page, I drag the favicon in the address bar to the desktop. If I want a shortcut for a link that's embedded in the page, I drag the link to the desktop. Both processes create shortcut files in both Safari and FF, and the shortcut files generated by both Safari and FF work in the opposite browser. I also appear to be free to rename the files as I please without stopping them from working.

Is this close to what you want? Or does it have to have to be a context menu thing?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Yoyodyne
macrumors member

DeskCut lets you right-click any unactive spot on a page, and within the context menu you can send an internet shortcut to the desktop. When I used IE years ago, it always had it built into the file menu. I have been using these methods, but never knew you could drag and drop the url.

I'm a right-clickaholic, so menubars and drag and drops are not my first guess.

Thanks!
Yoyodyne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 04:30 PM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne
I'm a right-clickaholic, so menubars and drag and drops are not my first guess.
Welcome to the world of Mac!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store