Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoyodyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Uqbar
I have been unsuccessful at creating internet shortcuts on Safari or Firefox. On XP the DeskCut extension is great, but on OS X I only get a long error. I have dragged shortcuts over the network and Safari can open them as .url files, but Firefox chokes.

Is there a hack in Safari or has anyone been able to get DeskCut to work?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yoyodyne said:
I have been unsuccessful at creating internet shortcuts on Safari or Firefox. On XP the DeskCut extension is great, but on OS X I only get a long error. I have dragged shortcuts over the network and Safari can open them as .url files, but Firefox chokes.

Is there a hack in Safari or has anyone been able to get DeskCut to work?

What exactly does Deskcut do? Allow you to right click on a link in Firefox and then save a shortcut to it on the desktop? I'm confused. The following procedure works in both Safari and Firefox for me on my Mac:

If I want a shortcut for the current page, I drag the favicon in the address bar to the desktop. If I want a shortcut for a link that's embedded in the page, I drag the link to the desktop. Both processes create shortcut files in both Safari and FF, and the shortcut files generated by both Safari and FF work in the opposite browser. I also appear to be free to rename the files as I please without stopping them from working.

Is this close to what you want? Or does it have to have to be a context menu thing?

Yoyodyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Uqbar
DeskCut lets you right-click any unactive spot on a page, and within the context menu you can send an internet shortcut to the desktop. When I used IE years ago, it always had it built into the file menu. I have been using these methods, but never knew you could drag and drop the url. :eek:

I'm a right-clickaholic, so menubars and drag and drops are not my first guess.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.