Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyromaniaque

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Well..Ask your mother.
I had the iPhone open (physically). The screen was on while i had the iPhone split in two (front panel and back casing).

Everything was working fine. I moved the top half of the assembly just a fraction and the screen turned white before my eyes.

I have made sure everything is properly connected and it is still doing this.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Could be a polarization film. Did anything fall out? Like a thin piece of plastic the size of a post-it note?

pyromaniaque

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Well..Ask your mother.
Could be a polarization film. Did anything fall out? Like a thin piece of plastic the size of a post-it note?
Nope. Nothing fell out.

You know how when you open the iPhone it is split in halves?

You have the front panel and the back housing. The LCD was on and displaying an image but I moved the front panel and I just saw the screen go white...And it's been like this ever since.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Take apart again, unscrew the mother board etc, remove the battery. Wait a bit then put back together (carefully obviously). Make sure the 3 ribbon connectors for the screen are secured. And see what happens.

or try something more simple like above 1st, pop the screen off, remove and reattach the cables and hard reset

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
How can I hard reset if my lock button doesn't work? It clicks but does nothing.

On a side note, does replacing the headphone jack assembly fix that?

The home button will only work if the phone is put together!

As above make sure all cables are connected then put it back together! Reboot and it should work fine.

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Dallas, NC
Thanks man. For how long do you reckon I'd have to keep the battery out?

You don't actually remove the battery and with your luck I wouldn't lol. Just pull the board out, and put it right back in. A second without power will turn it off.

----------

The home button will only work if the phone is put together!

As above make sure all cables are connected then put it back together! Reboot and it should work fine.

lock and home are two different buttons. :p

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
If your lock button isn't working you either need to replace the lock button, or more then likely the whole head phone jack cable assembly, can get for like $10 on ebay from iphonerepairmiamibeach. Gotten pretty much all replacement parts from them for way cheaper then others generally.

NismoRoadster

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cerritos, CA
First of all probably wasn't the smartest thing to do opening up an iPhone powered on with all the sensitive electronics. There's so much static building up. Probably the LCD ribbon shifted out of place but the backlight ribbon still attached. It's been awhile since I seen the 3s insides but there should be numbers in the cables I think. Those are disassembly steps suppose to be done in order. Maybe watch a YouTube video first or ifixit site and reseat all the cables then hard reset.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
If replugging all the cables don't work then the LCD is shot. I have had this happen to me where the lcd doesn't work anymore but the motherboard is still recognized by itunes.

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Dallas, NC
First of all probably wasn't the smartest thing to do opening up an iPhone powered on with all the sensitive electronics. There's so much static building up. Probably the LCD ribbon shifted out of place but the backlight ribbon still attached. It's been awhile since I seen the 3s insides but there should be numbers in the cables I think. Those are disassembly steps suppose to be done in order. Maybe watch a YouTube video first or ifixit site and reseat all the cables then hard reset.

Not always true.

If replugging all the cables don't work then the LCD is shot. I have had this happen to me where the lcd doesn't work anymore but the motherboard is still recognized by itunes.

Yup! Lesson learned to the OP right?

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Most of the times, the WHITE SCREEN indicates a faulty LCD screen.

There's nothing wrong about opening the TOP assembly is you are careful, but this time maybe you've murdered your LCD screen.

I'm also having WHITE SCREENS but it is just occasionally... I just power off and on again and it's solved... But I would like to find out what's the reason for this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.