Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2012
I won't to sell my 4S before the new iPhone comes out, and the first iPhone is my only option for a temporary phone. Will my SIM card fit without any modding?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I won't to sell my 4S before the new iPhone comes out, and the first iPhone is my only option for a temporary phone. Will my SIM card fit without any modding?

Yeah it will with a micro sim adaptor from eBay

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
I'm doing the same thing -- selling my 4S and using my iPhone 2G in the interim. Tonight I made my own micro-SIM to SIM adapter from an expired gift card (which was made of the same kind of plastic stock as a credit card). Once I made the adapter, I took the micro-SIM out of my 4S, stuck it in the adapter and put the result in the iPhone 2G's SIM tray. It worked perfectly. You should know, however, that my iPhone 2G is unlocked.

So yeah, in short the 4S SIM works just fine in a 2G as long as you have an adapter, which you can make yourself if you don't want to buy one on eBay and wait for it to ship. Here's a pretty basic article to help you out:

http://www.jonathansaggau.com/blog/2010/06/diy_iphone_4_microsim_adapter.html

I advise putting a piece of scotch tape or packaging tape on the backside of the adapter to help hold the micro-SIM in place.

You will be able to make and receive calls just fine on the old 2G, as well as use EDGE data connectivity if you can possibly stand it. If you were using iMessage on your 4S, I noticed that continuing to text people is not quite seamless. I can text my friends from the iPhone 2G and they receive normal SMS messages right away, but if they send a text back to me, it still gets sent as an iMessage and I don't receive it. They have to tap and hold on the message they just sent me and then tap "Send as Text Message" when the prompt appears. Then I get it on the 2G as an SMS right away.

Hope this helps.

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I have got the sim adaptor and using it till the new phone comes out.

You can get it from ebay.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I advise putting a piece of scotch tape or packaging tape on the backside of the adapter to help hold the micro-SIM in place.

Word of warning - you need/should tape more than just that. Tape over the "seams" on the top side of the setup in between the adapter and the micro SIM.

Otherwise, if there is a seam or any sort of lip in between your SIM and the adapter, the prongs on the SIM reader can and will catch on it when you pull the SIM tray out. When this happens, the little prongs on your SIM reader can and will break off. Because the SIM reader is permanently affixed to the motherboard, you will effectively require a complete motherboard replacement.

Trust me, I learned this the hard way during my last iPhone 2G stint in between phones :)

I've been using my 2G iPhone for about a full month now after selling my 4S. I've got that mofo allll sorts of taped up. The only part that isn't taped is the actual center gold section of the SIM. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.