Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecker00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Hi,
I'm looking for a product and can quite find what I'm looking for, hope somebody can help.

In short: I'm looking for a NAS Adapter with AFP support.
Similar to this product: http://www.addonics.com/products/nasu2.php

I have a 8TB external RAID (2GBx4) in an HDD enclosure ( like this ) it can connect with USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800, and eSATA to 1 computer. Now there have become more computers in the house and it would be nice to backup all computers to this drive (specialy with Time Machine) using a network drive system. It's sad to trash the current enclosure for a new NAS 4-bay RAID system (which is expensive too), so was hoping to find a NAS adapter which supports big drive capacity and AFP access for best preformance and experience with Mac and Time Machine.

Cheers

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hi,
I'm looking for a product and can quite find what I'm looking for, hope somebody can help.

In short: I'm looking for a NAS Adapter with AFP support.
Similar to this product: http://www.addonics.com/products/nasu2.php

I have a 8TB external RAID (2GBx4) in an HDD enclosure ( like this ) it can connect with USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800, and eSATA to 1 computer. Now there have become more computers in the house and it would be nice to backup all computers to this drive (specialy with Time Machine) using a network drive system. It's sad to trash the current enclosure for a new NAS 4-bay RAID system (which is expensive too), so was hoping to find a NAS adapter which supports big drive capacity and AFP access for best preformance and experience with Mac and Time Machine.

Cheers

What kind of router do you have? If it has a USB port supporting USB storage devices to be connected and has AFP - you don't need an adapter :) The ONLY router that has this and is not supported by Apple to use Time Machine with is the Airport Extreme (although it works without the need of any hacks or special settings).

One option could actually be to get a Time Capsule. That way, you get a dedicated disk for the backups (the internal disk of the TC) plus turning your current setup to a NAS :) It's always a good idea to use a separate disk for backups anyway, to decrease the wear and tear and the risk of disk failure.

ecker00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I didn't know that some routers could have NAS built in, it's pretty clever when I think about it. Seems like my router doesn't have it, but this gives me some pointers for what I'm searching for, thank you.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I didn't know that some routers could have NAS built in, it's pretty clever when I think about it. Seems like my router doesn't have it, but this gives me some pointers for what I'm searching for, thank you.

Any router with the capability of connecting a USB storage device to it would be what you're looking for. If you want to use Time Machine (instead of another solution, such as Carbon Copy Cloner) it needs to support AFP as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.