Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Just wondering over time if the aluminium will show signs of wear from oil and sweat on the palm rest.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just wondering over time if the aluminium will show signs of wear from oil and sweat on the palm rest.
I've been using mine over 4 years, averaging 12-16 hours a day. It still looks new. I occasionally wipe it down with a damp cloth.... that's it.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I've seen some of my friends' computers and their palmrests are dirty, but I took a quick wipe and it did go away. Can't say the same about the plastic ones.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My palmrest's silver finish is starting to chip off a bit.
Have you tried cleaning it with alcohol and a soft cloth? You may find it just has built-up dirt on it. As it's aluminum, there's no surface to chip off. It's aluminum all the way through.

stevenlangley1

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
My palm rest itself is in great shape, but I have had some deterioration of the edge on my late '08 MPB. Hasn't really bothered me, I just look at it as wear and tear. And before anyone mentions it, no I don't wear jewelry on that wrist.

Attachments

• IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,280

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I've seen some computers start pitting from sweat, so I guess that means your hands can damage the finish on your MacBook Pro.

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
It gets dirty quick (though if you wipe it frequently it shouldn't pose as an issue)

This is exactly the reason why I always get the Moshi palmguard.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
Have you tried cleaning it with alcohol and a soft cloth? You may find it just has built-up dirt on it. As it's aluminum, there's no surface to chip off. It's aluminum all the way through.

After nearly wrecking my antiglare screen with alcohol, I tend to go for the damp cloth or special windex for electronics. I think the aluminum itself has a very thin finish on top of it, because ever since I wiped my palm rest with alcohol, it seems to have gotten a little less smooth (less than the rest of the laptop, at least). I'm sure alcohol doesn't dissolve aluminum, but I would avoid using it on any sort of electronics, regardless. (unless its well mixed with water)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
After nearly wrecking my antiglare screen with alcohol, I tend to go for the damp cloth or special windex for electronics. I think the aluminum itself has a very thin finish on top of it, because ever since I wiped my palm rest with alcohol, it seems to have gotten a little less smooth (less than the rest of the laptop, at least). I'm sure alcohol doesn't dissolve aluminum, but I would avoid using it on any sort of electronics, regardless. (unless its well mixed with water)
I didn't suggest using alcohol on the screen. Alcohol won't harm aluminum. While using water is sufficient for most cleaning, using alcohol to clean tougher spots is perfectly safe. Cleaning the outer aluminum body surface is not cleaning "electronics", as the electronics are inside.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I keep a clean microfiber cloth in with my MBP, at the end of the day I spend a full six seconds wiping the palm rest, keyboard, display, and if needed the lid.

I realize that's a lot of work, and can be stressful, but it keeps my Macs looking new.

Ha... Ha... Ha... :)

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
I didn't suggest using alcohol on the screen. Alcohol won't harm aluminum. While using water is sufficient for most cleaning, using alcohol to clean tougher spots is perfectly safe. Cleaning the outer aluminum body surface is not cleaning "electronics", as the electronics are inside.

I know, I'm just cautious after my incident with alcohol. ;) I was just saying that there might be a thin finish applied to the aluminum.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I know, I'm just cautious after my incident with alcohol. ;) I was just saying that there might be a thin finish applied to the aluminum.
I've found the finish of Macs very durable. Oh sure I take care of it, but my point is it's not fragile. As mentioned earlier, if you have a need to remove grime, a water moistened microfiber will remove it, except the most stubborn spots. For that moisten the cloth with alcohol and it will remove the stubborn stuff.

Better yet if you wipe it daily as I do, water is all you'll ever need.

The mistake I've seen others make is to procrastinate & ignore keeping it clean weekly, or they let it go even longer. Then the cleanup job is a far greater task. I wasn't kidding when I said it only takes me six seconds.

That's because I don't eat or drink while using it, that avoids a lot of headaches.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
i use iclean from monster for everything came with a 1 sq foot microfiber cloth and 2 mini cloths as well. but i am looking for a travel size for school

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The powder coat (paint) chips off quite easily on the sharp edges of the unibody. Despite statements to the contrary, it's obvious that the surface is powder coated (otherwise it wouldn't chip :rolleyes:).

This has been happening for years as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/209679/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/925608/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/645492/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1314170/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/841853/

I won't go against this evidence, but all the dents, dinges and chips of my Al Mac have been done due to other factors. As per my hand usage, my Mac doesn't experience said effects.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

The silver body is scraping off. And no its not dirt, I hope it was haha
You can see the black parts under the silver.

NikkiJayne

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
England
I had a dell with an aluminium finish and after three years half of it is chipped away and pitted from where I place my wrist. Totally gross and I don't want the same to happen to my rMBP! However some suggest it's to do with using a two pinned plug v a three pinned one. My mac has a 3 pin plug and the Dell was 2 pins (the third pin was plastic) so we shall see!

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I'm sorry to bump this thread, but in the year that I have had my MacBook Pro, I have absolutely ruined the finish on the palmrest, probably from sweat on my hands. If I would have known that this would happen, then I would have bought a Moshi Palmguard, but the damage is done now. Advice to any and all Mac users with very sweaty palms: Get a Palmguard from Moshi so that this does not happen!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 947
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.