Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
burningrave101
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
How to create a bootable USB Windows 7 or 8 install from within OSX for use on a PC

I'm currently putting together a new PC that is without a DVD drive at the moment and I need to create a bootable USB Windows 7 or 8 install using my new retina MBP with Mountain Lion.

Is it possible to download the Windows 7 or 8 ISO and use the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" option inside Boot Camp Assistant? Will the bootable USB it creates work just the same on a PC? And does this tool in Boot Camp Assistant work with the Windows 8 Release Preview as well or only Windows 7?

If that won't work is there a different way to create a Windows 7 or 8 install USB from within OSX that will work to install on a PC? At the moment I'm trying to avoid having to install Windows on my retina MBP just to accomplish this task.
burningrave101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
nobackup
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningrave101 View Post
I'm currently putting together a new PC that is without a DVD drive at the moment and I need to create a bootable USB Windows 7 or 8 install using my new retina MBP with Mountain Lion.

Is it possible to download the Windows 7 or 8 ISO and use the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" option inside Boot Camp Assistant? Will the bootable USB it creates work just the same on a PC? And does this tool in Boot Camp Assistant work with the Windows 8 Release Preview as well or only Windows 7?

If that won't work is there a different way to create a Windows 7 or 8 install USB from within OSX that will work to install on a PC? At the moment I'm trying to avoid having to install Windows on my retina MBP just to accomplish this task.

You can use boot camp to create used a boot camp USB to reinstall my x230. Works with 7. Should work with 8 .. Apple will also update to support 8 just like when 7 was launched
nobackup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningrave101 View Post
I'm currently putting together a new PC that is without a DVD drive at the moment and I need to create a bootable USB Windows 7 or 8 install using my new retina MBP with Mountain Lion.

Is it possible to download the Windows 7 or 8 ISO and use the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" option inside Boot Camp Assistant? Will the bootable USB it creates work just the same on a PC? And does this tool in Boot Camp Assistant work with the Windows 8 Release Preview as well or only Windows 7?

If that won't work is there a different way to create a Windows 7 or 8 install USB from within OSX that will work to install on a PC? At the moment I'm trying to avoid having to install Windows on my retina MBP just to accomplish this task.
usually with and ISO you can burn it so its bootable with disk utility
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
64GB iPhone 6 Gold
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
dkenn75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Does anyone else have any insight to this? I'm in a similar situation...

I'm looking to put Windows 7 on my PC by creating a bootable USB with a Win7 .iso using my MBP to create the USB.

Here's my thread about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...3#post16041193
dkenn75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenn75 View Post
Does anyone else have any insight to this? I'm in a similar situation...

I'm looking to put Windows 7 on my PC by creating a bootable USB with a Win7 .iso using my MBP to create the USB.

Here's my thread about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...3#post16041193
Not an easy task if you are trying to create the drive from OS X. You will need Windows Vista or greater to create the USB drive so it will boot Windows. diskpart in Windows does this, and there is no equivalent in OS X. There is an open source linux utility that will do this, but I am unsure of the name right off. Not sure if it will work with MacPorts or not.

With that said, the 2011 MacBook Air and the 2012 MacBook Pros and 2011 Mac minis will create a bootable USB for Boot Camp use but I am not sure if it will boot a PC - I don’t think I have tried that.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:37 PM   #6
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Update - if you have a machine that supports making the USB drive in Boot Camp Assistant, it will work fine on a PC. I just tested it on a 2012 MacBook Pro and an HP notebook.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:11 AM   #7
dkenn75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Update - if you have a machine that supports making the USB drive in Boot Camp Assistant, it will work fine on a PC. I just tested it on a 2012 MacBook Pro and an HP notebook.
Thanks for the replies, monkey! I have a 2012 Macbook Pro, I'm just still getting used to using a Mac over my PC. So as I previously mentioned, my PC currently sits OS-less and I'm wanting to create a bootable USB w/ Win7 iso attached using my (only) Macbook Pro.

Would you be able to go into a little more detail about how I'd go about this operation? Boot Camp Assistant is new to me and though I am fairly savvy when it comes to working on a PC, I'm not sure what steps to take for mounting this .iso using my Mac.

PS: I appreciate you taking the time to test it out on your own machines!
dkenn75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:02 AM   #8
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenn75 View Post
Thanks for the replies, monkey! I have a 2012 Macbook Pro, I'm just still getting used to using a Mac over my PC. So as I previously mentioned, my PC currently sits OS-less and I'm wanting to create a bootable USB w/ Win7 iso attached using my (only) Macbook Pro.

Would you be able to go into a little more detail about how I'd go about this operation? Boot Camp Assistant is new to me and though I am fairly savvy when it comes to working on a PC, I'm not sure what steps to take for mounting this .iso using my Mac.

PS: I appreciate you taking the time to test it out on your own machines!
Run the Boot Camp Assistant and you will be presented with three options. Just select the top option to "Create a Windows 7 install disk" and deselect the other two, and put your USB flash drive in the machine. When you hit Continue, it will ask you for the location of your ISO file and ask you to confirm the destination USB flash drive, and that's all there is to it. It will take several minutes to create it.

You have one of the few machines that will do this - AFAIK the 2012 MacBook Pro will do it, as well as the 2011+ MacBook Air and Mac mini. Other models do not give you the option to create a bootable USB drive as the support method of installation is from DVD media.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:19 PM   #9
dkenn75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Run the Boot Camp Assistant and you will be presented with three options. Just select the top option to "Create a Windows 7 install disk" and deselect the other two, and put your USB flash drive in the machine. When you hit Continue, it will ask you for the location of your ISO file and ask you to confirm the destination USB flash drive, and that's all there is to it. It will take several minutes to create it.

You have one of the few machines that will do this - AFAIK the 2012 MacBook Pro will do it, as well as the 2011+ MacBook Air and Mac mini. Other models do not give you the option to create a bootable USB drive as the support method of installation is from DVD media.
Monkey, I gave it a quick go ahead run as you recommended and once I tried to boot up my PC all that came up was a blinking cursor.

Do you happen to know if I need to format the USB drive in a certain format before using Boot Camp Assistant and copying the .iso? I did a clean erase of my USB through Disk Utility and Format MS-DOS (FAT) before I used BCA if that has anything to do with it.

I also have made sure to set the BIOS on my PC to boot from USB as the first sequence and disabled all of the rest.
dkenn75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:15 PM   #10
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenn75 View Post
Monkey, I gave it a quick go ahead run as you recommended and once I tried to boot up my PC all that came up was a blinking cursor.

Do you happen to know if I need to format the USB drive in a certain format before using Boot Camp Assistant and copying the .iso? I did a clean erase of my USB through Disk Utility and Format MS-DOS (FAT) before I used BCA if that has anything to do with it.

I also have made sure to set the BIOS on my PC to boot from USB as the first sequence and disabled all of the rest.
When I tried, the Book Camp Assistant formatted it for me. When booting the HP laptop, I got a message as seen here, immediately followed by Windows is loading files.... It created a FAT32 volume (shown as FAT in Disk Utility) and the volume label WININSTALL.

Have you verified that the ISO is good by installing in a VM or anything? Worst case scenario, download VMware Fusion and get a 30-day trial serial number, install Windows 7 in that, and make the USB drive from the VM in Windows 7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bca.png
Views:	948
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	370423  
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:17 PM   #11
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Worst case scenario, download VMware Fusion and get a 30-day trial serial number, install Windows 7 in that, and make the USB drive from the VM in Windows 7.
This. Since W7 will run for 30-120 days without a product key, you don't need to sweat it if you don't have a "PC" handy.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:33 PM   #12
dkenn75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
When I tried, the Book Camp Assistant formatted it for me. When booting the HP laptop, I got a message as seen here, immediately followed by Windows is loading files.... It created a FAT32 volume (shown as FAT in Disk Utility) and the volume label WININSTALL.

Have you verified that the ISO is good by installing in a VM or anything? Worst case scenario, download VMware Fusion and get a 30-day trial serial number, install Windows 7 in that, and make the USB drive from the VM in Windows 7.
Well I heard nothing but good reviews on the torrent I downloaded, very high number of comments.
I'll go ahead and try the VMware Fusion approach...will update soon!

EDIT: I'm confused...do I NEED a Windows 7 disc to create Windows 7 in VM? I tried adding Windows 7 to VM by "Creating a New Virtual Machine" and doing a "Custom Virtual Machine" and selecting Windows 7.

Sorry, this is all new to me and I'm getting quite lost as you can see :-/

Last edited by dkenn75; Oct 18, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
dkenn75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:44 PM   #13
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenn75 View Post
Well I heard nothing but good reviews on the torrent I downloaded, very high number of comments.
I'll go ahead and try the VMware Fusion approach...will update soon!

EDIT: I'm confused...do I NEED a Windows 7 disc to create Windows 7 in VM? I tried adding Windows 7 to VM by "Creating a New Virtual Machine" and doing a "Custom Virtual Machine" and selecting Windows 7.

Sorry, this is all new to me and I'm getting quite lost as you can see :-/
I would not touch an ISO that either you didn't 1) make yourself from pressed media or 2) downloaded from the manufacturers website through authorized channels.

You do not need a disc to create a VM - select Continue Without Disc and Choose a Disc or Disc Image on the next screen. Reference the ISO and follow the prompts. It will auto install.

What version of Windows 7 do you have a product key for? Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate?
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:09 PM   #14
dkenn75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
I would not touch an ISO that either you didn't 1) make yourself from pressed media or 2) downloaded from the manufacturers website through authorized channels.

You do not need a disc to create a VM - select Continue Without Disc and Choose a Disc or Disc Image on the next screen. Reference the ISO and follow the prompts. It will auto install.

What version of Windows 7 do you have a product key for? Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate?
OK so I managed to figure out how to use VM and successfully put Windows 7 Ultimate on my Mac.

Should I follow a certain procedure as to how I should put the .iso on my VM Win 7 to my USB?
dkenn75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:43 PM   #15
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenn75 View Post
OK so I managed to figure out how to use VM and successfully put Windows 7 Ultimate on my Mac.

Should I follow a certain procedure as to how I should put the .iso on my VM Win 7 to my USB?
Download this tool and run it.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:58 PM   #16
dkenn75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
I tried using this after I searched google after my last response and for whatever reason, it's saying my .iso is invalid.

How this is being SO difficult for me is beyond me! I feel like I'm so close but missing some minute detail...
dkenn75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #17
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenn75 View Post
I tried using this after I searched google after my last response and for whatever reason, it's saying my .iso is invalid.

How this is being SO difficult for me is beyond me! I feel like I'm so close but missing some minute detail...
Get this ISO and don't bother with the torrent. This is directly from Microsoft.

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24394.iso

Quote:
How this is being SO difficult for me is beyond me! I feel like I'm so close but missing some minute detail...
I think all of your trouble has come down to the shady ISO file. I thought you already had a legitimate ISO to work with when you started.

Last edited by monkeybagel; Oct 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:22 PM   #18
dkenn75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Get this ISO and don't bother with the torrent. This is directly from Microsoft.

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24394.iso



I think all of your trouble has come down to the shady ISO file. I thought you already had a legitimate ISO to work with when you started.
Well after about an hour of dl'ing that ISO you recommended we are back in business! I was able to boot my PC no problem and I'm installing Windows 7 on my PC as I type!

Some further questions may arise after this gets posted, but I can't figure out why the ISO I was using worked fine for installing Windows 7 on VM, but wasn't cooperating w/ Boot Camp Assistant or the Windows USB/DVD Downloader Tool...

Also, how is it possible for Microsoft to "give away" an ISO for Windows 7? If I'd known I could retrieve an ISO [for free] via Microsoft, I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble [at saving $] dealing with a torrent.

EDIT: Up and running! Installed just fine and now have a fresh hard drive thanks to a DBAN (www.dban.org) and a new Windows 7 Ultimate. The OS was what was stopping me from selling my desktop now that I'm a MAC-user so this ordeal helps a lot!

Thanks again for all your help, monkey!

Last edited by dkenn75; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
dkenn75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:27 PM   #19
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenn75 View Post
Well after about an hour of dl'ing that ISO you recommended we are back in business! I was able to boot my PC no problem and I'm installing Windows 7 on my PC as I type!

Some further questions may arise after this gets posted, but I can't figure out why the ISO I was using worked fine for installing Windows 7 on VM, but wasn't cooperating w/ Boot Camp Assistant or the Windows USB/DVD Downloader Tool...

Also, how is it possible for Microsoft to "give away" an ISO for Windows 7? If I'd known I could retrieve an ISO [for free] via Microsoft, I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble [at saving $] dealing with a torrent.

EDIT: Up and running! Installed just fine and now have a fresh hard drive thanks to a DBAN (www.dban.org) and a new Windows 7 Ultimate. The OS was what was stopping me from selling my desktop now that I'm a MAC-user so this ordeal helps a lot!

Thanks again for all your help, monkey!
That's good to hear and glad I could help.

You obviously take security very seriously if you are using dban to wipe a disk. I do as well and I would highly recommend not getting software - especially operating systems from unauthorized channels in the future. The ISO you had did not work because it had been altered by someone at some point. Who knows what was done to it, but malware would not be unlikely.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:11 PM   #20
Chacapamac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Question

Is this link is Window ultimate 64 bit?
Chacapamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:43 PM   #21
marcballz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
no to bring up a dead thread but im in this same situation and want to try using this iso link above to see if this solves my problem before i crack open my mbp to re install the superdrive & try trouble shooting it that way since my os wont allow me to create a usb boot-able iso image .

i just had a few questions regarding the link.. is this a trial version? or a full version or a crack like most torrents out there. & also is this update-able to download the service packs now available, since most programs will require it sooner or later
marcballz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:11 AM   #22
Chacapamac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
No this is not a crack They are official release

More choice here >

http://www.w7forums.com/official-win...ds-t12325.html
Chacapamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost windows 7 password. Need to create windows bootable usb with my mac oxplode OS X 1 Mar 17, 2014 12:35 PM
Is there a way to create a bootable USB? Maclver MacBook Pro 18 Dec 28, 2013 05:04 PM
How to create OSX bootable USB drive? MacNoobGuy OS X 6 Sep 9, 2013 08:46 AM
Create a bootable Mountain Lion USB drive from Windows birch25 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Sep 7, 2013 01:45 PM
Can't create USB bootable sou1 so1di3r OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Aug 25, 2012 11:25 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC