Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Freezetd
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Install Mountain Lion from MBR Partition Scheme

I'm currently dual booting Lion/Win7. I purchased and downloaded Mountain Lion from the Mac store, but when I went to upgrade, both disks were grayed out. When I click on either disk I get the following error message "This disk doesn't use the GUID Partition Table scheme." I went to disk utilities and sure enough my hard drive's partition map scheme is master boot record (not sure why). I do not have an external hard drive and do not want to lose any data. I did some research and apparently theres a way to patch some files to allow installation on a MBR partition scheme, however this is for Hackintosh users…I've tried modifying the tutorials myself to see if i could get it working… I have wasted 20$ on MLion and 22 hours of time trying to figure out a solution. help anyone? please don't tell me I'm SOL
Freezetd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Repair your OS x partition. Follow the steps in the Apple document Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck. Follow the fsck steps and run the fsck -fy. Keep running the fsck-fy until it says all is good, then type the reboot to boot back into OS X.

Then try to install 10.8 and see if that works.
satcomer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Freezetd
macrumors newbie

No luck
Freezetd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion