Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

iBooks, iCloud & PDF's not syncing?

Am I missing something about how iBooks work with iCloud? Several times now I've opened a PDF in iBooks on one device and expected to find it automatically synced on another and yet it hasn't. Am I doing something wrong? I have iBooks toggled for iCloud across both my iPad and iPhone, both are the latest versions running iOS5...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
boston04and07
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
Am I missing something about how iBooks work with iCloud? Several times now I've opened a PDF in iBooks on one device and expected to find it automatically synced on another and yet it hasn't. Am I doing something wrong? I have iBooks toggled for iCloud across both my iPad and iPhone, both are the latest versions running iOS5...
I haven't tested if they automatically download on all iOS devices, but I can tell you that in iOS 6 my PDF's are syncing to the last page read across my iPhone and iPad. I'm really happy about this - it's a feature I've been looking for for a while now. I have a lot of class readings in iBooks, and sometimes I like to read a little on the metro but don't want to whip out my iPad. Having the pages sync is really helpful going back and forth.
boston04and07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

It's odd because it doesn't do that for me...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
ianwuk
macrumors regular

Hello.

How did you set up your devices to do this? I have all my books on my iPad and would love to be able to keep reading from the same page on my iPhone.

Many thanks.

Ian
ianwuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:08 PM   #5
boston04and07
macrumors 6502

Really? Hmm...I don't think I did anything in particular to set it up. It just started doing it once I got iOS 6. I'm using an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5...perhaps it's device specific? Not sure why it would be though. I know it has nothing to do with how the files were transferred into iBooks, as I have some that were transferred via iTunes and other that were downloaded from Dropbox.

Do you have iCloud enabled, and everything within the iBooks app (books, collections, etc) set to sync? In order to check, you would need to go to Settings > iBooks > switch on Sync Bookmarks and Sync Collections. That's all I can think of at the moment...
boston04and07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:11 PM   #6
ianwuk
macrumors regular

Hello.

Thanks for replying.

I have that option set to ON on my iPhone but I have not checked my iPad yet where all my books are so that may be the issue right there.

Many thanks.

Ian
ianwuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:39 AM   #7
gursis11
macrumors member

I'm havin the same problem. Then someone told the answer.
iBook and PDF bookmarks only sync across the AppleID used for the App Store, NOT your iCloud.
gursis11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

Oh right...well that sucks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Tags
ibooks, iclouds, ios5, ipad, iphone 4s