Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

View Poll Results: Dropbox or Google Drive?
Dropbox 207 83.13%
Google Drive 42 16.87%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:27 AM   #1
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

Dropbox or Google Drive?

MBA owners, which service do you prefer? Dropbox or Google Drive? Any real differences in usage on a Mac? Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:30 AM   #2
gaiao
macrumors newbie

There are also another options, like ubuntu one and the one from microsoft.

By the way, I use ubuntu one. I don't think there is any difference aside from storage capacity.
gaiao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

I prefer Dropbox. It seems to be more universally accepted, many iPhone apps integrate with it, and I've found it very reliable. I have a Google Drive account, but never use it. YMMV
GGJstudios is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:33 AM   #4
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Neither. I use Skydrive. 7GB free, better iPad app and the Office Web Apps actually pretty well.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:34 AM   #5
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

I have been very happy with Dropbox for 6 months or so, but Google Drive looks like it does the same thing and gives more free storage. Google's paid storage is also less than Dropbox's. Just curious if there are any other obvious benefits to Dropbox that I am overlooking before possibly converting over.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
iamsen47
macrumors regular

Both.

Dropbox for work, Google Drive for personal.
iamsen47 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:35 AM   #7
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Do you ever have to edit shared documents? if yes then google docs and drive might be the best on for you. Otherwise dropbox. Both have good mac clients but neither are required to use the service.

Both are free, why don't you just try them out?
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
I have been very happy with Dropbox for 6 months or so, but Google Drive looks like it does the same thing and gives more free storage.
I'm sure you know you can increase your free Dropbox storage. I'm up to 6.4GB on one account. I'm sure you can do the same thing with Google Drive.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:40 AM   #9
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
Do you ever have to edit shared documents? if yes then google docs and drive might be the best on for you. Otherwise dropbox. Both have good mac clients but neither are required to use the service.

Both are free, why don't you just try them out?
I haven't shared docs with others, but my main use is to have certain personal files available that I can access at home on my MBA (primary) as well as at work from a PC or sometimes on my iPad and iPhone (mostly for just viewing on those two). I do have an app on my iPad that I can apparently edit files from either service (QuickOffice Pro) but that is a very rare occasion.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:41 AM   #10
netdog
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
I have been very happy with Dropbox for 6 months or so, but Google Drive looks like it does the same thing and gives more free storage. Google's paid storage is also less than Dropbox's. Just curious if there are any other obvious benefits to Dropbox that I am overlooking before possibly converting over.
Um, Dropbox doesn't scan everything on your drive and sell the information on to their advertizing partners...and of course any government that might be interested in you.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

I use Skydrive. Since I got in the game early, I got 25gb's of free storage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	353667  
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:47 AM   #12
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post
Um, Dropbox doesn't scan everything on your drive and sell the information on to their advertizing partners...and of course any government that might be interested in you.
If you've got governments after you then you then you might not want to be using any online file storage services...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I'm sure you know you can increase your free Dropbox storage. I'm up to 6.4GB on one account. I'm sure you can do the same thing with Google Drive.
Maybe he doesn't want to spam people with referrals, I don't like doing that.
charlieegan3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:48 AM   #13
netdog
macrumors 603

Quote:
If you've got governments after you then you then you might not want to be using any online file storage services...
Well there is that, yes.

But for the more mundane stuff, I seriously doubt that Dropbox scans and indexes your files.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:53 AM   #14
iamsen47
macrumors regular

One advantage that Google Drive has is, you can choose to not sync certain folders. So while my home machine has all the contents of my Drive synced, my work machine only has certain work folders synced.

Considering the space constraints in the Air, that's a rather nifty feature to have.
iamsen47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:56 AM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Maybe he doesn't want to spam people with referrals, I don't like doing that.
There are other ways of getting more free space than just referring people. Only 1GB of my space is from referrals.

The Official Dropbox Guide To Getting More Space!
How do I get free space for using Camera Upload?

Also, you can edit shared documents and select which folders you want to sync on Dropbox.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:07 PM   #16
s0mojo
macrumors newbie

Drop defo, saved my life while at uni
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Redbull916
macrumors member

I've done some extensive testing of DropBox, Google Drive & Skydrive for work.

First, Skydrive: It can have issues with large files, and I within one week of testing we found that some files were missed on the backup (if you google it you will find that a few people are reporting this). And for that reason it was discounted.

Google drive. Good Value BUT..... the google app uses 1.4% CPU when idle and 160%CPU when validating and transferring files (Again, Google it and you will find it's a common problem with the software on macs and PC's). Finally Reading the small print you will find that Google 'Owns' all the data you put on it.

Dropbox: Recently discounted (100GB for the price of the old 50GB package) works without fault. All files were backed up and synced on 3 systems. The shared dropbox folders (between different dropbox accounts) also worked very well.

So in summery Dropbox is slightly more that the others but you do get what you pay for.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:33 PM   #18
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull916 View Post
I've done some extensive testing of DropBox, Google Drive & Skydrive for work.

So in summery Dropbox is slightly more that the others but you do get what you pay for.
Thanks for this. In addition, as a result of this thread, I decided to set up Google Drive to test it, since I already had an account I had never used. I downloaded the iPhone app, which installed without a hitch. I downloaded and installed the Mac app and when I launched it, I get this:

Name:	ScreenCap 2012-08-19 at Sun, Aug 19,12.31.00 PM .PNG
Views:	107
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	353675
Yes, I have an internet connection. Yes, I've made sure my firewall is allowing the Google Drive app access. I'm about to restart to see if that fixes it, but I never had such an issue with Dropbox. It worked perfectly from the beginning, on every device I've ever installed it on.

Edit: Restarting did not solve the problem. Google Drive still cannot connect to the internet, even though the connection is obviously there. Also, even with Google Drive not working properly, it's still consuming more system resources than Dropbox:

Name:	ScreenCap 2012-08-19 at Sun, Aug 19,1.01.03 PM .PNG
Views:	106
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	353677
Overall, I'd say Google Drive isn't worth the effort.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Aug 19, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added more information.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Opp
macrumors newbie

I find that Dropbox works well for pictures.. The instant upload comes in handy when I'm out snapping pics on my iPhone, it uploads quickly and I can delete it to save space on my phone. Dropbox doesn't resize your photo uploads like google does

I use google drive for everything else. Since its built into my email account I can take advantages of all the other benefits of gmail. I find that this system works well for me
Opp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:47 PM   #20
shamash
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to shamash Send a message via AIM to shamash Send a message via MSN to shamash Send a message via Yahoo to shamash Send a message via Skype™ to shamash
I'd just get both, so you have more space. Lololol
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:51 PM   #21
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

I tried SkyDrive, and it seems good, especially with a Windows 8 machine in the enviroment. I though of using SkyDrive for iTunes, DropBox for iPhoto etc. And I have more space with SkyDrive, however, the upload speeds were terrible. SkyDrive is also half the price of Dropbox. So maybe in the future it will be a viable solution. But untill then, I'll stick with dropbox. Havent used google docs yet.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:00 PM   #22
bembol
macrumors 6502a

Dropbox.

1. I got 75GB free for two years as a bonus for my androids (Samsung Galaxy S3 & hTc One X).

2. I picked it because it got better reviews on Google's Play store.

Last edited by bembol; Aug 19, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
bembol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:03 PM   #23
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

I used Dropbox and found it a very effective solution for accessing files on the go, but now i've managed to get my network drive working via BTMM I don't use it anymore as BTMM is seamless and takes away the need for me to upgrade my hard drive size now.
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:10 PM   #24
scarred
macrumors 6502a

Dropbox is the only one that works with symbolic links. With them, I can leave all my files where I want them, and just put links into the dropbox folder.

Example:

ln -s ~/Documents/ ~/Dropbox/Documents/OSX

I can't live without this feature.
scarred is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:40 PM   #25
hulk2012
macrumors 6502

Google is always an "imitation". Go for a real deal with the company which prosperity depends on a single product investing all the focus and energy into its development.

Dropbox wins hands down.
hulk2012 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store