Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Hi all
I am looking for a way to move Projects and Events to an external harddrive in iMovie. According to this article, it should be pretty easy: http://www.macworld.com/article/1153165/move.html

I am not sure, though, that it refers to the latest version of iMovie.

In any case: I can move Events - but then the chains to Projects are lost.

I need to find the "Copy Projects button", the articles says - but which button is that?

How to do this?

Thanks

Morten

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
With the external drive plugged in, open iMovie. The drive's icon should appear in the bottom left hand corner of the Project Library and the Events Browser.

In the Project Library view, drag a Project and drop it onto the drive icon. You will then be asked whether you want to move the Project's associated Events. You need to say "Yes" to this, otherwise you won't be able to open that Project again unless it is plugged into your Mac.

Once you have copied the Project and it's Events, you can then delete from your Mac if you wish.

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Great, thanks

By the way, can you move many projects at a time - or just one by one?

Also: There might be some Events in which the footage is only partly used by a project. If I copy Projects and Events together - and then afterwards manually delete Events, do I then not risk to delete parts of Events not copied?

Or does iMovie copy entire Event-foldes as soon as some is used?

Morten

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Only one Project at a time I think.

I haven't got an external to hand at the moment to try, but I'm pretty sure that you get the option to copy over only the parts of the Events that you have used in your Project(in which case you would lose the bits that you haven't used if you deleted the originals from your Mac), or you can copy over everything(so you can safely delete from your Mac).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.