Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Los

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
So I bought the Best Buy Exclusive version of The Hunger Games, and normally I ignore the Digital Copy Version for a while because I make my own digital copies by ripping the Blu-ray and encoding whatever files I need. However, I felt like getting the Digital Copy immediately for some reason and to my surprise, when I redeemed it, it started downloading the HD version!

Is this the first movie that's doing this at the moment? It's unfortunately downloading in 720p, I didn't realize that it was set up like that in my preferences, but since it's in the Cloud, I'm sure I'll be able to download the 1080p version in future. This is neat. :D

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It's up to the movie studio which version you will get. It really makes no sense to me why they would force the SD version with Blu-ray purchases though, but most do.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I got the Blu-ray of The Hunger Games from Amazon and had a choice of Ultra Violet or iTunes. iTunes gave me a 1080p download. Like you, I use makemkv and put the movie on a disk drive attached to my TV.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Somebody ought to start a list. Might as well start it and hope someone else picks up.

1. Game of Thrones
2. Hunger Games
2a. Hunger Games (Best Buy exclusive version)
3. Jaws
4. True Blood

Last edited:

Los

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Somebody ought to start a list. Might as well start it and hope someone else picks up.

1. Game of Thrones
2. Hunger Games
2a. Hunger Games (Best Buy exclusive version)
3. Jaws

I think that's a good idea. I'm also surprised that Game of Thrones has an actual Digital Copy, makes me want to go pick it up.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
HBO is now also releasing their Digital Copies in HD, even re-releasing some older Seasons of shows (True Blood, etc.) that have already been released on BD, with their new HBO Select packaging. They include the BD, DVD, and HD Digital Copies. I really hope all the studios start following suit and start releasing their Digital Copies in HD.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
This is very encouraging news. I don't particularly enjoy encoding movies. I'd rather buy the disc and just download the file.

Los

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
This is some good news. Do you get the iTunes extras as well?

So far, as long as you get the code and not a DVD with the Digital Copy on it, you'll get the iTunes Extras if the movie does have it on iTunes.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
HBO is now also releasing their Digital Copies in HD, even re-releasing some older Seasons of shows (True Blood, etc.) that have already been released on BD, with their new HBO Select packaging. They include the BD, DVD, and HD Digital Copies. I really hope all the studios start following suit and start releasing their Digital Copies in HD.

This is a little frustrating. I bought all the True Bloods for my wife when they first came out each year. I also bought Game of Thrones for me. All on Blu ray and only season four of True Blood came with a digital copy. Game of Thrones came out four months ago.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
This is a little frustrating. I bought all the True Bloods for my wife when they first came out each year. I also bought Game of Thrones for me. All on Blu ray and only season four of True Blood came with a digital copy. Game of Thrones came out four months ago.

I agree, it's definitely frustrating, as I bought Season 1 & 2 of True Blood before their new format came out. I also bought Game of Thrones on iTunes, whereas now when they re-release it, I could get 3 different versions for less than I paid just for the digital copies.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
WHAT? Then why does the listing on Amazon say it comes with UltraViolet? I bought the HD video on iTunes because I have ZERO interest in that UltraViolet nonsense. For the same bloody price for the discs AND the HD version with extras, I sure as eff would've bought the discs. Gosh darnit I hate these studios and their lack of explanation on all this.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
WHAT? Then why does the listing on Amazon say it comes with UltraViolet? I bought the HD video on iTunes because I have ZERO interest in that UltraViolet nonsense. For the same bloody price for the discs AND the HD version with extras, I sure as eff would've bought the discs. Gosh darnit I hate these studios and their lack of explanation on all this.

The Amazon title is wrong, but the boxart is correct. You do in fact get a Digital Copy redeemable on iTunes or UltraViolet (same code).

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Yo yo, could this possibly apply retroactively in the future to past purchases? This makes digital copies relevant again!

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Does anyone know if the standard (non Blu-Ray) edition's digital copy gives you a choice of UltraViolet or iTunes (even SD download)? Or is the regular release limited to UV?

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Does anyone know if the standard (non Blu-Ray) edition's digital copy gives you a choice of UltraViolet or iTunes (even SD download)? Or is the regular release limited to UV?

The older released ones only work on Ultra Violet, but the newer ones work for both. From the Hunger Games on seems good for either or. The older versions you can have some luck with sending an email to the Ultra Violet customer service and they may give you a iTunes code.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The Amazon title is wrong, but the boxart is correct. You do in fact get a Digital Copy redeemable on iTunes or UltraViolet (same code).

Barf, Amazon. Barf. You think the people who type those things in could get their facts straight on a $400 million movie. Well, it probably cost them one measly sale. That'll teach 'em.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
If True Blood and Game of Thrones are HD, anyone know about Boardwalk Empire? (i.e is this something HBO is doing with all their TV shows?)

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
If True Blood and Game of Thrones are HD, anyone know about Boardwalk Empire? (i.e is this something HBO is doing with all their TV shows?)

Yes, all HBO Shows will include HD Digital Copies. Hopefully everyone else follows suit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.