Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What has your feelings/reaction been to the next-gen iPhone part leaks?

• Always liked it, never had a problem with it.

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • Disliked it at first but then started to like it.

Votes: 71 31.7%
  • Liked it at first but then started to dislike it.

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Never liked it, never will.

Votes: 70 31.3%

• Total voters

AlexanderTT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Now, I'll be honest, at first I was extremely disappointed with the part leaks and what not and thought that for the past two years Apple have done nothing with the design except to elongate it. But the design has really grew on me and now I actually quite like it!

A little poll, I'm interested in 4 possible reactions/feelings by you guys.

1) Disliked at first but then grew on you
2) Always disliked & still do
3) Liked at first but then started to hate it
4) Always liked it

Also, what will your reaction be if it turns out to be the way the part leaks are pointing at?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I don't dislike it but I'm really bored of the design and making it longer and having a two-tone back isn't enough for me. If it turns out to be true then I might be getting an Android phone and skipping this iteration.

AlexanderTT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Liverpool, UK
How about actually adding a poll to the thread? :p

I don't dislike it but I'm really bored of the design and making it longer and having a two-tone back isn't enough for me. If it turns out to be true then I might be getting an Android phone and skip this iteration.

There is a poll, it's at the top of the page...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I would have liked to see the result of what Apple Designer J.Ive does best. A fresh world class exciting design. Made of Apples signature aluminum, with rounded ergonomically comfortable sides, not too much unlike the iPhone 3GS (to give you the idea) yet different. Over the last year I've seen some pretty stylish mockups that are only a fraction as attractive as a J.Ive design.

Include a modern display within the range of 4.5" to 4.8" and Apple would have a stunning new iPhone. Despite all the complaints from those who refused to be open minded & willing to embrace change, I bet if Apple were to build this type of new model, it would be widely praised, immediately accepted, and declared (as always) world changing. Apples favorite claim.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I voted "Never like it and Never will" only because it resembles the 4S. But there wasn't a choice in your poll that says, Never liked it, but won't have a problem with it's design if Apple releases it". I mean, I won't be awed by it and I wouldn't turn it down.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It is beyond idiotic, just trying to copy other handsets because people 'want'. Jobs never gave people what they wanted, (in this case bigger screens) because people never know what the hell they want.

Moreover, Apple sets the trend which has worked so well for so long. They don't follow a big screen scenario. I wish to believe this will be the case and hope that iPhone with bigger screen doesn't happen at all.

wc17

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Thinner, bigger screen, non glass back, still an Apple product(so you know it'll look damn sexy)...what the hell were people expecting?

Go back a couple years and look at the comments/opinions on the iPhone 4 leaks...

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
How about dislike it (mainly cause I don't like the stretched part) but don't know if I always will.

I mean I disliked the 4 the first time I saw the leaked image. When I saw it in person I really liked it.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Despite having some copycats, one thing Samsung/LG/Sony can do is designing stylish phones, to some people way better looking then the iphone.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I like it.

The iPhone 4 form factor is the most ideal shape and design, and already uses premium materials unlike competitive devices. Enhancing it to make it thinner, stronger, lighter and at the same time increasing screen size sounds really good to me.

People just have an automatic reflex to want something completely new and different each time. These devices will get better through an iterative process. The iPhone is not just going to take on a completely different shape and design just because people want something new.

That's something Samsung does, each year they use a different arbitrary theme. This year with the S3, it's all about the 'Nature' UI, with rippling ponds as the lock screen and a curvy form factor. These are just gimmicks, they are compromising the design of the device to fill this need that people want something 'new' for the sake of it.

If you want to try something that looks and feels very different, get an Android device.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I wasn't really sure what to choose. I liked the black version at first but I hate the white. So I chose liked it at first and starting to dislike it.

kixx

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
I like it.

The iPhone 4 form factor is the most ideal shape and design, and already uses premium materials unlike competitive devices. Enhancing it to make it thinner, stronger, lighter and at the same time increasing screen size sounds really good to me.

People just have an automatic reflex to want something completely new and different each time. These devices will get better through an iterative process. The iPhone is not just going to take on a completely different shape and design just because people want something new.

That's something Samsung does, each year they use a different arbitrary theme. This year with the S3, it's all about the 'Nature' UI, with rippling ponds as the lock screen and a curvy form factor. These are just gimmicks, they are compromising the design of the device to fill this need that people want something 'new' for the sake of it.

If you want to try something that looks and feels very different, get an Android device.

Completely agree, classy designs dont vary much. For example, looking at the new 2012 Porsche, you will still find huge resemblance of the 1980s models' deisgn.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
So far all these leaks are boring at best. Yes boring! But hopefully Apple has something up its sleeve like a built in finger print scanner or something that we're just missing.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
its just meh...i was hoping for an iphone that had the ipad like back! it would look and feel amazing! but i guess this'll have to do!

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Completely agree, classy designs dont vary much. For example, looking at the new 2012 Porsche, you will still find huge resemblance of the 1980s models' deisgn.
Yep definitely, the car analogy is very appropriate.

The iPhone has an iconic design. The shape and appeal of the device is something Apple is defending rigorously in court right now against Samsung.

When you see an iPhone, you know it's an iPhone. The rounded corners, the symmetrical front and back, the bezel width above and below the screen, the home button. These are identifiers of an iPhone.

Apple has built a device that is instantly recognizable.

You can identify a Porsche just from it's silhouette. Similarly with the iPhone, it is iconic design. It's not going to be drastically changed, and especially not over a single update.

When it is changed, it will be because of a functional need from the device that requires a change. A bigger screen, for example, requires a structural change to the form factor. Apple won't make arbitrary changes just to make it look a bit different from the previous model.

Last edited:

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Those who don't like it will see one come launch day and will then realize that all of the renders and leaked pictures are nothing when compared to the real thing. This happened with the iPhone 4. It got rave reviews.

----------

Yep definitely, the car analogy is very appropriate.

The iPhone has an iconic design. The shape and appeal of the device is something Apple is defending rigorously in court right now against Samsung.

When you see an iPhone, you know it's an iPhone. The rounded corners, the symmetrical front and back, the bezel width above and below the screen, the home button. These are identifiers of an iPhone.

Apple has built a device that is instantly recognizable.

You can identify a Porsche just from it's silhouette. Similarly with the iPhone, it is iconic design. It's not going to be drastically changed, and especially not over a single update.

When it is changed, it will be because of a functional need from the device that requires a change. A bigger screen, for example, requires a structural change to the form factor. Apple won't make arbitrary changes just for making something different.

This.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Don't mind the shape of the back, but making it thinner instead of more battery is dumb and I really cannot stand the new screen ratio. I really do think it will make things like playing Infinity Blade or typing in landscape much more difficult for no appreciable benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.