Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I just purchased a seagate goflex satellite HD to store movies and photos on for my iPad (I travel frequently).

Almost all of my movies exist in DVD format. I don't have a TON that I want to store on the satellite but probably a fair few (maybe 50-100 eventually) and a few tv series. I have no idea how to get from the DVD to the HD.

Is there a best way to get the DVDs from the DVD onto the satellite? I read a few threads that mention things like encoding or not and such but to be honest I'm not exactly sure what they all mean. I guess I'm looking for a fairly straight forward process to put the DVDs onto the satellite and watch in iPad format. Also I have an HDMI cord to hook the iPad to the tv so I can watch on the tv- IM not sure if that will effect the way ir resolution in which I want to "rip" the DVDs?

I don't mind buying software to do this if I can get it through the app store (I have a gift card lol) otherwise a free option would be preferred (but not required if too much of a hassle).

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Using handbrake is what I would do. You would just put your DVD in, open handbrake, select the iPad preset, and click start. Then, it would create a file that you can add to iTunes and sync with your iPad.

There are a lot more features that handbrake offers, too. You would just need to experiment with them to see what all it can do.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Thank you. From What I've been reading I'll need something like vlc too right?
Will handbrake do tv shows/series as well?

Last edited:

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Yes, it will do TV shows, too. You might need to download VLC, too...I forgot about that...handbrake uses it for codecs and such.

Also, I would recommend iFlicks for tagging TV show and movies with artwork, ratings, cast, description, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.