Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drgrafix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
New England
I have a iMac 24" 2.8GHz with 6Gigs RAM, and a MBP with a SSD, 4Gigs. Honestly have to say I'm confused about the value of the upgrade as it seems there are as many "WOWS!" as there are "UGHS!" if you poke around.

If/When I upgrade it would be as an upgrade installed over ML, I'm not keen on completely reformatting my HDDs and re-installing all my applications and the related support data.

So I'm curious, id this new OS a breakthrough that will enhance my Macs performance as in speed, or is it just a collection of new bells & whistles that will (maybe) enhance my productivity?

Thanks for any/all advice.

Mike

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I have a iMac 24" 2.8GHz with 6Gigs RAM, and a MBP with a SSD, 4Gigs. Honestly have to say I'm confused about the value of the upgrade as it seems there are as many "WOWS!" as there are "UGHS!" if you poke around.

If/When I upgrade it would be as an upgrade installed over ML, I'm not keen on completely reformatting my HDDs and re-installing all my applications and the related support data.

So I'm curious, id this new OS a breakthrough that will enhance my Macs performance as in speed, or is it just a collection of new bells & whistles that will (maybe) enhance my productivity?

Thanks for any/all advice.

Mike

You could give a try to just upgrading without a clean install. In most cases, it'll just work. (Nevertheless, I myself always do a clean install with a complete reformat.)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I like (and agree with) Ars Technica's though on it, which I think speaks to the gist of what type of upgrade it is.

"It's easy to view OS X 10.8 as "what 10.7 should have been." The flip side of this argument is that the real-world mileage we’ve all put on Lion has helped Apple make the right kinds of adjustments in Mountain Lion. If we'd had to wait almost three years after 10.6 for the next major release of OS X, chances are good that the worst of the missteps in Lion would just be landing on our doorsteps today. I'll take 10.8, thanks."

If I were you, I'd use SuperDuper to make a clone of your internal SSD to an external USB drive. Then upgrade your Mac to Mountain Lion and play with it for a week. If you don't like it, you can use SuperDuper to copy the external USB drive to your SSD, essentially "rolling back" to Lion.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Coming from SL and especially with multiple monitors NO.

Lion I suppose yes.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I bet that he will say that they are just as broken as ML made them with full screen.

:confused: But Snow Leopard doesn't have full screen, so I'm not sure how that would be a disadvantage for ML with multiple monitors.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I upgraded with no grief whatsoever from Lion
Easy peasy with not issues

Works well for me and most others
Yes, there are some who voice issues, but they are a very small minority of users

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
:confused: But Snow Leopard doesn't have full screen, so I'm not sure how that would be a disadvantage for ML with multiple monitors.

lol that is true... Just dont go full screen in ML and you are in the same situation as you would be in SL

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

I know, but that doesn't stop people complaining about full screen taking up all displays for one app (blanking out the second display).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.