Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
irfan22
macrumors member

Using trackpad with left hand?

Hey guys

Really enjoying my AIR but going from PC to Mac and especially with this huge trackpad i noticed that I use my left hand to use my trackpad even though I'm right handed with a mouse.

I am cross-dominant which is a form of ambidexterity where I use different hands for different tasks. Just sort of weird.

I also have noticed that scrolling using two fingers make my fingers fatigued. Not sure why. I started using my index and middle finger to scroll but changed to my middle finger and ring. Just feels uncomfortable regardless. Nothing too bad that I wouldnt be able to use my macbook.

Do most macbook owners use their right hand with the track pad?
irfan22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68030

right hand - right hand trackpad
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Cool Story Bro
macrumors newbie

I do exactly the same thing. I'm left handed, and when I'm using a mouse or the Magic Trackpad while working at my desktop, I use my right hand. When I'm on my MBP, I use my left hand on the trackpad.
Cool Story Bro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Nyvar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Do most macbook owners use their right hand with the track pad?
Right handed, but 80% with right hand, 20% with left. I've always scrolled using middle/ring. Never occurred to me most people don't. Then again I've always used a mouse with my right hand with right click as primary.
Nyvar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:43 AM   #5
EmaDaCuz
macrumors member

Right handed, I use either hand, depending on the situation. For simple tasks, I found myself better using the left hand. If I need to be more accurate, though, I immediately switch to the right.
EmaDaCuz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:20 AM   #6
drsox
macrumors 65816

I use either hand with the trackpad. One of the reasons I bought a MBA is that I can't use a mouse for a long time. The gripping posture hurts my joints. However the MBA trackpad allows me to use either hand with a minimum of force.

What I end up normally doing is to type with the right and click/point with the left - normally with the thumb/first finger in the bottom left corner. If it's only click/point then it is with the right hand but in the centre/left side of the trackpad.

No problems with using multiple fingers, sometimes even on both hands at the same time (but mimicking the physical placement of a single hand).

I can't use the standalone trackpad as extra force is required (angle of the trackpad adds to the downward force needed).
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:30 AM   #7
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

I'm right-handed but often use the left hand. That's how good and easy the 'tap' trackpad is.
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

I'm left handed and very left side dominant, but always use a trackpad with my right hand (whether it's on a laptop or separate).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:50 AM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

I'm left handed, use a mouse with right hand and both hands on trackpad.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:39 AM   #10
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

I two-fifnger scrool with index/middle. It never fatigue, perhaps your "movement" can be improved, as fatiguing from this for no reason can be due to health problems.

I never leave my hand static and place movemente upon my fingers muscles/tendons. I keep my "entire hand" very still and move it only by the wrist, keeping the palm resting on the the macbook. Altough the movemnt is kinda circular/diagonal, OS X understan perfectly what I wan to do.
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:34 PM   #11
old-wiz
macrumors 604

both hands, not at same time.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Left handed. Use my right hand on my mouse, both left and right hand on my MBA trackpad.

Throw left/catch right. Bowl left. Golf/hockey right, but hockey goal keeping left (due to my right hand being my glove hand). Tennis left. Soccer left. Pool left. Shoot rifle/shotgun right, handgun both (left is more comfortable, right is more accurate). Fine tasks (soldering, carving, etc.) left. Fork in left, knife in right. All mixed up...
Left Nikon for Fuji X-E1, Fujinon 18-55mm OIS, 55-200mm OIS, 27mm f/2.8
Mike in Kansas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:59 PM   #13
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

I use my right hand, and the middle and ring fingers to scroll.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:11 AM   #14
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502a

I use it right handed most of the time, but switch to left hand if the right gets tired.
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air