Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve.lawrence

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Since updating to Mountain Lion, I find that I am no longer able to sort by a field of my choice in the Downloads folder in Finder.

For example, in any other folder I can click on the 'Name' or 'Date added' or 'size' header to sort the contents of the folder by that value. But as soon as I go to the downloads folder, they become 'fixed' and I cannot sort by anything but name.

Anyone struck this or know how to fix it? Thanks!

Steve

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'll have to test this when I'm at my Mac... I have ML, and I always use icon view, not list view (which I assume is what you are using), so I never notice things like this ;)

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I just tried the different sorting options in my Downloads folder and they all work as expected for me.

I know that's not terribly helpful, but at least you know it should be working.

Bit of a strange problem you have there!

jlocalled

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Make sure you don't have "Arrange by:" set in View Options. Having that set will not let you click on the column to sort. If it's set to "None" already, then maybe something else is wrong.

August51

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
Answer is still valid

This worked for me too -- and it has been frustrating me for months! (until I finally decided to Google it…)

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.