Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Moscow News reports (via 9to5Mac) that Apple is apparently making preparations to begin direct sales of its products in Russia, with retail stores perhaps set to follow in the future.
Apple has registered a company Apple Rus and assigned Vitaly Morozko, the corporation's local legal advisor, as its director general, Kommersant reported.

In spring 2011, when Apple top managers travelled to Moscow, they were looking for premises for Apple Store, but did not find anything.

According to an unnamed manager of an Apple distributor, the company could start direct sales in Russia in 2013, but it is unclear when first Apple Stores will open.
The report notes that Apple currently uses a network of distributors to handle sales of its products in the country, with Apple being particularly unhappy with iPhone distribution as its carrier partners have been focused on limiting sales of the device to their own stores.

retina_macbook_pro_russia.jpg

Russia is one of the four "BRIC" countries viewed as major growth markets due to their developing economies. Among those four countries, Apple has been most heavily focused on China, but Tim Cook acknowledged earlier this year that the company has been increasing its emphasis on Brazil and Russia. India is the fourth BRIC country, and while there has been evidence of work toward an expanded reseller network there, Apple does appear to be remaining cautious with its direct expansion plans in that country.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Begin Direct Sales in Russia?

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
"BRIC"?
After re-reading the last paragraph a few times, wondering where I'd missed the explanation of that term or link to it's meaning, I spotted what it must mean.

Confirmed on wikipedia, but never a term I've come across!

To save the other uneducated people, who don't know, from searching, puzzled, BRIC = Brazil, Russia, India and China.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
In Soviet Russia...Apple buys you.
Does iTunes Russia sell music by (profane) Riot?*

*This is the name of the rock band that got arrested in Russia. The intent of the word was not to be profane but to use their name in the context of discussing Apple's presence in Russia.

I understand the need to keep a sense of decorum and propriety in the fora, and I've edited the post as needed.

Thank you.

Last edited:

antitrust

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
This is fantastic news. Retailers in Russia charge up to +40% on all apple hardware. I remember seeing my MBP for sell in a store in Moscow (I happen to live here) earlier this year for the same price I bought it back in Canada in 2010. No wonder everyone makes fun of people with Macs here.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple has factory partners in Brazil and China. Covered. They have distribution in India and it is expanding.

Russia has aspects of its organization that resembles what we call the mob. That slows the style of free market development we do here in the USA and our country is trying to expand around the world.

Another factor is political. Russia is a friend of jurisdictions our country is at covert war with, Iran, Syria, etc.

This is a difficult market for USA based manufacturers. The former Soviet countries are mostly no problem, such as for example, Georgia.

Culturally Russia is ripe for Apple products.

Russian people like Americans and visa versa.

Rocketman

Last edited:

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
"BRIC"?
After re-reading the last paragraph a few times, wondering where I'd missed the explanation of that term or link to it's meaning, I spotted what it must mean.

Confirmed on wikipedia, but never a term I've come across!

To save the other uneducated people, who don't know, from searching, puzzled, BRIC = Brazil, Russia, India and China.

Actually, it isn't even BRIC anymore, instead it is "BRICS" - Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRICS

Radiomarko

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
UK & Russia
Yes!

Very welcome news, deploying MBP as edit tools in Russia just got easier.

Let's ignore the naive comments about Russia from those who don't know what the hell they are talking about, they don't belong here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.