Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperVehicle001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2011
I just bought my cousin's maxed out 27 inch iMac ( 3.4ghz i7 8bg ram AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5 ) for a steal of a price (he is moving). Anyway I bought D3 and installed it and I am playing it just fine. I see no frame rate issues but sometimes the audio stutters when in town. Especially when talking to Deckard Cain and some important quest stuff. Nothing game breaking but very irritating to the whole experience.

This is a pretty new iMac, Mid 2011. I would of waited for a refresh but my cousin gave me too good of a deal to pass up. I nuked his old stuff. Wiped the whole drive and re-installed Snow Leopard then installed Mountain Lion.

Star Craft II plays just fine without any sound stuttering on Ultra settings.

Any recommendations? I don't want to uninstall D3 and Boot camp Windows 7 (I don't own a copy of 7 only 32 bit XP)

I am comfortable in a Unix environment and no stranger to the command line. So any fix tips (even if I have to dive into the file system) are welcome.

Thanks!

andymoraitis

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2001
Oklahoma
Give this a try

I just bought my cousin's maxed out 27 inch iMac ( 3.4ghz i7 8bg ram AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5 ) for a steal of a price (he is moving). Anyway I bought D3 and installed it and I am playing it just fine. I see no frame rate issues but sometimes the audio stutters when in town. Especially when talking to Deckard Cain and some important quest stuff. Nothing game breaking but very irritating to the whole experience.

This is a pretty new iMac, Mid 2011. I would of waited for a refresh but my cousin gave me too good of a deal to pass up. I nuked his old stuff. Wiped the whole drive and re-installed Snow Leopard then installed Mountain Lion.

Star Craft II plays just fine without any sound stuttering on Ultra settings.

Any recommendations? I don't want to uninstall D3 and Boot camp Windows 7 (I don't own a copy of 7 only 32 bit XP)

I am comfortable in a Unix environment and no stranger to the command line. So any fix tips (even if I have to dive into the file system) are welcome.

Thanks!

I run a machine similar to yours and experience the same issue but only after the Skeleton King event. I have a tendency to turn my sound channels down to the lowest setting since I often play with my sound low anyway. Try fiddling with your sound settings and see if the stuttering improves. It may be that everything is cranked up.

Also, a great way to squeeze more frames from your machine (if you ever have an issue with this) is to navigate to your Diablo 3 prefs file and change the Hardware Class from 4 to 2. It gives me a solid 30-35 FPS on the 6770M in native resolution with everything well cranked except for AA.

Anyway, let us know if anything works with respect to the sound issue.

Cheers,

Andy

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

I found a thread somewhere on a Diablo3 site (while looking for solutions to hard drive based stuttering in regards to my own computer running Call of Duty 2 and 4) that suggested getting a USB thumbdrive and copying the gaming folder over to it and running from there solved a LOT of people's stuttering issues with Diablo 3, which are apparently due to hard drive loading data while playing, not the GPU. Supposedly a USB2 drive is fine for this, even though it seems a bit counter-intuitive in regards to drive speed. I bought a USB3 model since I have a 2012 Mac Mini, but sure enough, I'm 100% stutter free with Call of Duty 2 & 4 now. It seems strange since my RAID0 drive is a LOT faster in absolute speed, but it's either a driver/system thing or the random access is what matters most or something (my RAID0 uses regular hard drives, not SSD units).

In any case, it might be worth a try. I'd be curious to hear if it solves it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.