Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:57 PM   #1
weemanpow3
macrumors 6502

cMBP gaming and battery question

Hi, I have a 2012 15" 2.6GHz MBP and have a question about the battery when gaming.

When I game, I use Bootcamp (latest updates/drivers/tweaks) and have my Mac plugged in. I noticed that charger cord light would frequently change from green to orange charging the battery (seems like when it goes down to 95% it would charge back up to 100%). I plugged in my Kill A Watt meter and noticed the power consumption is over 90 watts (90-93 watts). I thought it could only max out at 85 watts. The charger was so hot, I thought it was gonna melt.

Will this kill my battery?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:00 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemanpow3 View Post
Hi, I have a 2012 15" 2.6GHz MBP and have a question about the battery when gaming.

When I game, I use Bootcamp (latest updates/drivers/tweaks) and have my Mac plugged in. I noticed that charger cord light would frequently change from green to orange charging the battery (seems like when it goes down to 95% it would charge back up to 100%). I plugged in my Kill A Watt meter and noticed the power consumption is over 90 watts (90-93 watts). I thought it could only max out at 85 watts. The charger was so hot, I thought it was gonna melt.

No, it won't kill your battery. It's normal for your MBP to draw power from both AC and battery during periods of extreme demand, such as gaming or other multimedia operations. This can cause your battery to stop charging or even drain, even though it's plugged in. Read the AC POWER section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
inhalexhale1
macrumors regular

Quote:

No need to worry, that's normal. When gaming, the demands on the laptop are higher, and your MacBook can drain the battery even when plugged in.
inhalexhale1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
icewing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The charger was so hot, I thought it was gonna melt.
My charger also gets that hot when gaming, seems normal. Once it had slipped between cushions on the couch, and it was VERY hot. Since then when gaming I always try to prop it up so there is plenty of air circulation around it.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:38 PM   #5
theBostonian
macrumors regular

The battery is good for 1000 cycles until it goes down to 80% capacity so think of this as giving your MBP a little exercise and keeping the electrons in tiptop shape.

In my previous MBP my battery health was 100% even though it was never unplugged; I attributed that to the use of battery when I did CPU+GPU intensive tasks.
theBostonian is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro