Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:26 AM   #101
Jonze
macrumors member

I have a LAN session coming up at work for this game. Usually for a LAN session I have to put a copy of windows on my macbook. Will I be able to run the mac version and the others run a windows version?
x2 HP Microserver (8TB each) x2 D-Link BoxeeBox's
Jonze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:29 AM   #102
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
I know, seriously! This is why I like Nintendo so much. I dislike violent shooting games not because they're inappropriate for little kids but because they're so dull, brainless, and boring. Paper Mario and Windwaker for GameCube, on the other hand, have enough action, plenty of thinking/puzzles, and are really exciting and rewarding. And Super Smash Bros Melee is one of the most strategy-based fighting games ever. Too bad there's the Wii with its nice hardware but suckish games instead of a GameCube II. Nintendo knew how to make great games with relatively bad graphics on weak hardware, the GameCube.[COLOR="#808080"]
Thats a sweeping generalization, you stated that like it was a fact. I personally find a lot of them to be gripping and entertaining, especially the likes of Battlefield 3. I also play the DayZ Zombie mod for Armoured Assault 2, don't lump all first person war games together like they're all the same.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:35 AM   #103
buckyballs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurcek86 View Post
50-70fps on 16:10 on 1680x1050 resolution which is kinda bad performance and badly ported game to MAC from WIN

Overview of the game:

-half made (they just switched beta to t he final)
Firstly, that's not bad performance. I'm going to guess that you've got a MacBook Air plugged into a monitor. The HD4000 is not a hugely capable graphics card. There's where your so called 'performance issues' lie. If you had a badly ported game, you'd know it. It would crash, run at a lower framerate than the hardware is capable of (which it isn't). The Source engine is without doubt one of the best-ported engines there is.

Secondly, I don't think you have a clue how beta testing works.

Thirdly, just because they didn't add stuff that you personally wanted, doesn't make it a bad game.
buckyballs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:04 AM   #104
jurcek86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyballs View Post
Firstly, that's not bad performance. I'm going to guess that you've got a MacBook Air plugged into a monitor. The HD4000 is not a hugely capable graphics card. There's where your so called 'performance issues' lie. If you had a badly ported game, you'd know it. It would crash, run at a lower framerate than the hardware is capable of (which it isn't). The Source engine is without doubt one of the best-ported engines there is.

Secondly, I don't think you have a clue how beta testing works.

Thirdly, just because they didn't add stuff that you personally wanted, doesn't make it a bad game.
1. This is bad performance because i achieve better one on 6yo windows machine with worst configuraction up to 250fps.
I know HD4000 is not bad at all and not awesome for gaming but squishing more then 60avg fps is just not enough for that GPU. It is rowing at lower framerate than my hardware is capable of.
2. I think i was in more betas then u will ever be and beeing a developer for at least a decade got me feeling what is bad port between win and mac OS.
3. Where i wrote that game is bad?

I know its source engine from 04 but still this is 2012 game...
jurcek86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:06 AM   #105
karlwig
macrumors 6502

This is awesome! Im incredibly excited for this game, brings back so many memories.

Though I have to say, my 2009 MBP will probably not run this. I guess I'll have to buy bite the bullet and buy a gaming PC for CS GO, BF3 and SCII
karlwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:10 AM   #106
Sensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlwig View Post
This is awesome! Im incredibly excited for this game, brings back so many memories.

Though I have to say, my 2009 MBP will probably not run this. I guess I'll have to buy bite the bullet and buy a gaming PC for CS GO, BF3 and SCII
Get sli 680s like me
Max Payne 3 at max settings always over 60fps is so good, then you get crap console ports which stutter even on my pc. Makes me sad
Sensation is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:12 AM   #107
Winckle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonze View Post
I have a LAN session coming up at work for this game. Usually for a LAN session I have to put a copy of windows on my macbook. Will I be able to run the mac version and the others run a windows version?
The game has win/mac cross platform multiplayer, you should be fine.
Winckle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:26 AM   #108
alvindarkness
macrumors regular

Quote:
1. This is bad performance because i achieve better one on 6yo windows machine with worst configuraction up to 250fps.
I know HD4000 is not bad at all and not awesome for gaming but squishing more then 60avg fps is just not enough for that GPU. It is rowing at lower framerate than my hardware is capable of.
2. I think i was in more betas then u will ever be and beeing a developer for at least a decade got me feeling what is bad port between win and mac OS.

Regarding points 1 and 2. Have you done a comparison by running CS:GO on a bootcamp partition on the same machine? I know there are still confounding variables, such as the performance of windows HD4000 drivers (which I'm guessing would be better than mac's by a mile), but it would be interesting to see what result you get.
alvindarkness is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:31 AM   #109
fullstop102
macrumors member

Glad its on the front page

Really glad this is on the front page otherwise I may have missed it. I loved the original game growing up.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:49 AM   #110
Jwood2313
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Now a question... what exactly is Counter-Strike? Does it have any sort of campaign to it, or at least single player? When it comes to non-RTS games, I don't really like multiplayer with people I'm not friends with.
It has a bot mode.
Jwood2313 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:52 AM   #111
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood2313 View Post
It has a bot mode.
Does anyone actually play bots for fun?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:01 AM   #112
Jwood2313
macrumors newbie

Yes.
Jwood2313 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:23 AM   #113
arashb
Banned

Quote:

Either you or your computer is broken.

The game is NOT a port from Windows, and it runs the exact same between Windows and Mac.. This is actually why I deleted my Windows partition.

I would love to see a game you've developed, please share with us.
arashb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:39 AM   #114
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
I'll boggle your mind with my awp no-scope headshot.
I just nostalgia LOL'd at this. Takes me back to the beta days of 1999! Damn those AWP campers...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:46 AM   #115
Uplift
macrumors regular

how does steam run on OSX now? i installed it when they gave TF2 away for free and i must say it was a dreadful experience, it took up so much disk space (with games).. it was slow, crashed often and took forever to download a game..

also how will this run on a retina?
Uplift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:50 AM   #116
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefieldfan1 View Post
Not a troll. My 2011 17-inch macbook pro can barely run lowest settings TF2, a game which was released 5-years-ago.
How about you get your MacBook seen to by Apple. It's pretty obviously not supposed to be that bad. My 13" 2011 ran TF2 fine with lowish settings.

Unless by "can barely run" you mean "IT'S ONLY PUMPIN' OUT 113 FPS, I NEED AT LEAST 240!!"
Dangerous Theory is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:06 AM   #117
World Citizen
macrumors regular

So CS is ruined... I am playing a fancy COD type game with CS maps... but this isn't CS by a long shot anymore.

Where is the simplicity? Where is the simpleness ?

It's ruined. They should have never even thought about graphics.. They should have kept it clean and simple... But no.. We need graphics, we need loads of **** laying around in every map, we need a moving camera when having recoil.
We need some fancy crossair, we need to change the whole buying system AGAIN!, we need to change the outfits...

PLEASE! CS is NOT about graphics and complexity...

VALVE get your **** together an give me my CSgoLite version pleas!
World Citizen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:13 AM   #118
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnDewFTW View Post
Am I the only one that finds very little interest in playing games on a computer? Don't get me wrong, I like my PS3 and everything. I just never enjoy sitting at my computer playing games. Unless it's something like Minecraft that could really only be played on a computer.
Probably because you are getting old
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:19 AM   #119
ksgant
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
Why this is homepage material?

The mind boggles.
Ah, feel free to no patronize this website then if it's not living up to your journalistic standards as to what headlines make the front page and which don't.

Seriously, vote with your absence! Make your concerns be known by never coming back here! They loss in revenue from their ads will hit them in the pocket-book, and show that you're not a person to be trifled with.

2011 16gig iPhone 4s
2012 16gig iPad "3rd Generation"
2012 27" iMac i5 w/16Gigs of RAM
ksgant is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:24 AM   #120
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Be that as it may, it's of interest only to Mac Gamers, and not a rumor, and so aught to go into the Mac Blog. Just my two cents on that matter.
By that logic every single iPhone related post should be moved to the iOS blog as they may be deemed of interest only to iPhone owners.

It's a significant piece of news. Just because it doesn't interest you, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the homepage.

Given the scope of the sales of it's predecessors, this IS a significant news post that DOES deserve to be on the homepage. I say this as someone who rarely plays a game on a Mac.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:46 AM   #121
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
So CS is ruined... I am playing a fancy COD type game with CS maps... but this isn't CS by a long shot anymore.

Where is the simplicity? Where is the simpleness ?

It's ruined. They should have never even thought about graphics.. They should have kept it clean and simple... But no.. We need graphics, we need loads of **** laying around in every map, we need a moving camera when having recoil.
We need some fancy crossair, we need to change the whole buying system AGAIN!, we need to change the outfits...

PLEASE! CS is NOT about graphics and complexity...

VALVE get your **** together an give me my CSgoLite version pleas!
haha. GO is clearly more tailored to the casual gamer, so it is a nice change up from typical CS. If you want competitive play stick to CS or CSS
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:52 AM   #122
Boston007
macrumors 6502

Why front page

To you haters complaining why this is front page material.

1. Apple never used to be able to run games, PERIOD.

2. This is one of the most popular selling games. Having it come to MAC is big news.

3. Take your stupid iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 schematic difference stories and shove it. If I can sit through all those stories you can accept this story.

4. Have a martini and relax
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:54 AM   #123
Revelation78
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Revelation78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
I wasn't quoting the title, I was quoting the sentence, which was incorrect.
The sentence itself is still correct. Better reading comprehension would do you wonders.
Revelation78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:06 AM   #124
iScott428
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
I'll boggle your mind with my awp no-scope headshot.
Greatest comment ever.
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:39 AM   #125
Alfuh
macrumors regular

I plunked down my $15, WELL worth it for me

This is the first game I ever bought through Steam ... CS was THE game that I played back in the day. I used to have an install of 1.3 to play on specialized servers and then the current install for competitive play

I loaded it up and got a few rounds of de_dust under my belt ...

"Rush the bomb!"

Brings back memories!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion