Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Time for a bit of comic relief, but also one of those "damn! am I really *that* old?!?" threads.

Read, revel in your (old?) age, and enjoy!

http://www.omaha.com/article/201208...g-old-75-ways-college-freshmen-view-the-world

Feeling old? 75 ways college freshmen view the world
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Every year, Beloit College in Beloit, Wis., releases its Mindset List to give a snapshot of how the incoming freshmen class views the world.

Most students entering college for the first time this fall were born in 1994.

They never lived in a world where Kurt Cobain was alive or an NFL team played its home games in Los Angeles. The Class of 2016 has no need for radios, watches television everywhere except on actual TV sets and is addicted to "electronic narcotics."

These are among the 75 references on this year's Beloit College Mindset List, a nonscientific compilation is meant to remind teachers that college freshmen, born mostly in 1994, see the world in a much different way.

The Mindset List for the Class of 2016
  1. They should keep their eyes open for Justin Bieber or Dakota Fanning at freshman orientation.
  2. They have always lived in cyberspace, addicted to a new generation of "electronic narcotics."
  3. The Biblical sources of terms such as "forbidden fruit," ''the writing on the wall," ''good Samaritan," and "the promised land" are unknown to most of them.
  4. Michael Jackson's family, not the Kennedys, constitutes "American royalty."
  5. If they miss The Daily Show, they can always get their news on YouTube.
  6. Their lives have been measured in the fundamental particles of life: bits, bytes, and bauds.
  7. Robert De Niro is thought of as Greg Focker's long-suffering father-in-law, not as Vito Corleone or Jimmy Conway.
  8. Bill Clinton is a senior statesman of whose presidency they have little knowledge.
  9. They have never seen an airplane "ticket."
  10. On TV and in films, the ditzy dumb blonde female generally has been replaced by a couple of dumb and dumber males.
  11. The paradox "too big to fail" has been for their generation what "we had to destroy the village in order to save it" was for their grandparents.
  12. For most of their lives, maintaining relations between the U.S. and the rest of the world has been a woman's job in the State Department.
  13. They can't picture people actually carrying luggage through airports rather than rolling it.
  14. There has always been football in Jacksonville but never in Los Angeles.
  15. Having grown up with MP3s and iPods, they never listen to music on the car radio and really have no use for radio at all.
  16. Since they've been born, the United States has measured progress by a 2 percentage point jump in unemployment and a 16-cent rise in the price of a first-class postage stamp.
  17. Benjamin Braddock, having given up both a career in plastics and a relationship with Mrs. Robinson, could be their grandfather.
  18. Their folks have never gazed with pride on a new set of bound encyclopedias on the bookshelf.
  19. The Green Bay Packers have always celebrated with the Lambeau Leap.
  20. Exposed bra straps have always been a fashion statement, not a wardrobe malfunction to be corrected quietly by well-meaning friends.
  21. A significant percentage of them will enter college already displaying some hearing loss.
  22. The Real World has always "stopped being polite and started getting real" on MTV.
  23. Women have always piloted war planes and space shuttles.
  24. White House security has never felt it necessary to wear rubber gloves when gay groups have visited.
  25. They have lived in an era of instant stardom and self-proclaimed celebrities, famous for being famous.
  26. Having made the acquaintance of Furby at an early age, they have expected their toy friends to do ever more unpredictable things.
  27. Outdated icons with images of floppy discs for "save," a telephone for "phone," and a snail-mail envelope for "mail" have oddly decorated their tablets and smartphone screens.
  28. Star Wars has always been just a film, not a defense strategy.
  29. They have had to incessantly remind their parents not to refer to their CDs and DVDs as "tapes."
  30. There have always been blue M&Ms, but no tan ones.
  31. Along with online viewbooks, parents have always been able to check the crime stats for the colleges their kids have selected.
  32. Newt Gingrich has always been a key figure in politics, trying to change the way America thinks about everything.
  33. They have come to political consciousness during a time of increasing doubts about America's future.
  34. Billy Graham is as familiar to them as Otto Graham was to their parents.
  35. Probably the most tribal generation in history, they despise being separated from contact with their similar-aged friends.
  36. Stephen Breyer has always been an associate justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.
  37. Martin Lawrence has always been banned from hosting Saturday Night Live.
  38. Slavery has always been unconstitutional in Mississippi, and Southern Baptists have always been apologizing for supporting it in the first place.
  39. The Metropolitan Opera House in New York has always translated operas on seatback screens.
  40. A bit of the late Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek, has always existed in space.
  41. Good music programmers are rock stars to the women of this generation, just as guitar players were for their mothers.
  42. Gene therapy has always been an available treatment.
  43. They were too young to enjoy the 1994 World Series, but then no one else got to enjoy it either.
  44. The folks have always been able to grab an Aleve when the kids started giving them a migraine.
  45. While the iconic TV series for their older siblings was the sci-fi show Lost, for them it's Breaking Bad, a gritty crime story motivated by desperate economic circumstances.
  46. Simba has always had trouble waiting to be king.
  47. Before they buy an assigned textbook, they will check to see whether it's available for rent or purchase as an e-book.
  48. They grew up, somehow, without the benefits of Romper Room.
  49. There has always been a World Trade Organization.
  50. L.L. Bean hunting shoes have always been known as just plain Bean Boots.
  51. They have always been able to see Starz on DirecTV.
  52. Ice-skating competitions have always been jumping matches.
  53. There has always been a Santa Clause.
  54. NBC has never shown "It's a Wonderful Life" more than twice during the holidays.
  55. Mr. Burns has replaced J.R. Ewing as the most-shot-at man on American television.
  56. They have always enjoyed school and summer camp memories with a digital yearbook.
  57. Herr Schindler has always had a List; Mr. Spielberg has always had an Oscar.
  58. Selena's fans have always been in mourning.
  59. They know many established film stars by their voices on computer-animated blockbusters.
  60. History has always had its own channel.
  61. Thousands have always been gathering for "million-man" demonstrations in Washington, D.C.
  62. Television and film dramas have always risked being pulled because the story line was too close to the headlines from which they were "ripped."
  63. The Twilight Zone involves vampires, not Rod Serling.
  64. Robert Osborne has always been introducing Hollywood history on TCM.
  65. Little Caesar has always been proclaiming "Pizza Pizza."
  66. They have no recollection of when Arianna Huffington was a conservative.
  67. Chronic fatigue syndrome has always been officially recognized with clinical guidelines.
  68. They watch television everywhere but on a television.
  69. Pulp Fiction's meal of a "royale with cheese" and an "Amos and Andy milkshake" has little or no resonance with them.
  70. Point-and-shoot cameras are soooooo last millennium.
  71. Despite being preferred urban gathering places, two-thirds of the independent bookstores in the United States have closed for good during their lifetimes.
  72. Astronauts have always spent well over a year in a single space flight.
  73. Lou Gehrig's record for most consecutive baseball games played has never stood in their lifetimes.
  74. Genomes of living things have always been sequenced.
  75. The Sistine Chapel ceiling has always been brighter and cleaner.

Not much more to say, but "Damn, I feel old!!" :D

BL.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I try to catch this list every year. It really is amazing how fast culture changes and how the young are impacted by a lack of knowledge regarding the past. At a certain point that old phrase, "when I was young..." starts to make sense as opposed to being a cue for you to roll your eyes at the person saying it. :D

Renzatic

Suspended
I thought this one was particularly tragic...

69. Pulp Fiction's meal of a "royale with cheese" and an "Amos and Andy milkshake" has little or no resonance with them.

To them, Quentin Tarantino is just another Hollywood director, and not a purveyor of all things awesome. A geek who rose up from his humble beginnings as a simple video store clerk to become an icon of my generation. It's horrible.

...and then it suddenly dawned upon me that my parents used to say similar things about Starsky, Hutch, old 60's and 70's actors, and that kids these days don't even know what a video store is.

Holy ****, I'm old.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Honestly this sounds like a list that a bunch of old people came up with. The ones that are actually true are completely trivial (yes, as a matter of fact technology does change).

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
...and then it suddenly dawned upon me that my parents used to say similar things about Starsky, Hutch, old 60's and 70's actors, and that kids these days don't even know what a video store is.

Starsky and Hutch...gawd, I use to do the hop over the hood thing.:cool:

Holy ****, I'm old.

Hey, that's MY line.:D I probably have socks older than...*mumble mumble*

Renzatic

Suspended
Hey, that's MY line.:D I probably have socks older than...*mumble mumble*

Hell, I've got a cat that's probably older than some people here.

And even worse, I chased a bunch of teenagers off my property the other day. Just like how my old neighbors used to shoo my friends and I away when we were taking shortcuts through their yards.

Though in my favor, the little bastards weren't just walking through, they were trying to set fire to a little pile of cardboard out beside the pine trees. I mean what the hell? What kind of an idiot goes sneaking into someone else's yard to burn stuff? Even I wasn't that big of a hoodlum when I was their age. I swear, kids these days...

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
I try to catch this list every year. It really is amazing how fast culture changes and how the young are impacted by a lack of knowledge regarding the past. At a certain point that old phrase, "when I was young..." starts to make sense as opposed to being a cue for you to roll your eyes at the person saying it. :D

Exactly this... Lately I've been feeling this with my 29th birthday past me and slowly approaching 30. Not meant to be disrespectful, but I can only imagine people 5-10 years older than me.

Ughhh, why do we have to grow up ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Meh, these lists don't make me feel old. I felt old the first time I told my nephew to do something and when he asked why, I said, because I said so. :D

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Exactly this... Lately I've been feeling this with my 29th birthday past me and slowly approaching 30. Not meant to be disrespectful, but I can only imagine people 5-10 years older than me.

Ughhh, why do we have to grow up ;)

Hmph .. I'm 20 years older than you are, and I remember when all land-line telephones (not that anyone under the age of 20 knows what a land-line telephone is) were "party line" unless you paid extra and waited quite a bit longer for the phone company to run a private line to your home.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
As an old fart from the class of 2011 (sarcasm), I highly doubt anyone goes to look for an e-book version of any textbook at almost any college in the United States.

Should still read as: Before paying 150-300% mark up on a textbook from the bookstore, they look for a free copy in their school's library or go on the likes of Amazon, Half.com or Chegg.

----------

77. Their cars have always started on the first try - with a button, not a key.

I don't know anyone under 30 with a car that starts with a button.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Hmph .. I'm 20 years older than you are, and I remember when all land-line telephones (not that anyone under the age of 20 knows what a land-line telephone is) were "party line" unless you paid extra and waited quite a bit longer for the phone company to run a private line to your home.

Although I can't speak to that, I definitely can say that the ones this list refer to definitely don't know what the "p-line" or "party line" is/was... This was my "chat room" :)

"Yo, where you stay at?!"

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
A lot of these things are really only true in the US and Europe. I get that the list was made in the US though, so that explains it.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Honestly this sounds like a list that a bunch of old people came up with. The ones that are actually true are completely trivial (yes, as a matter of fact technology does change).

Agreed, it's yet another list that misses the mark that anyone who is young can clearly tell was written by old people who think they are "cool" and "edgy" because they think they are hip enough to know what's going on in the sub-20 year old crowd.

Half of those are stupid IMO.

Also, Tarantino absolutely sucks. Went to see Lawless last night and there was a preview for some new Tarantino flick, as usual it looked tasteless as hell and tacky like all his movies.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
As a young person (19) I'm certainly biased, but I feel like the older generations don't give enough credit to ours. These lists and statements are fun to read, but really lack a whole lot of truth to them. We know what turntables are, what land lines are; we love classic music and movies from days before our birth. Just to give a few examples. I'm sure there are those out there who are completely ignorant of anything before their time, but chances are they're also fairly ignorant of the time they live in.

I'm sure I'm taking this too seriously, but it bugs me that others also seem to take these things as indisputable fact. :eek:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
but I feel like the older generations don't give enough credit to ours. These lists and statements are fun to read, but really lack a whole lot of truth to them.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Many, many young people are not only aware that a world existed before they were born; but are also more than a little familiar with the science, technology, culture and politics of days gone by.

I was born in 1963 - but fairly early in my childhood I understood quite well that at one time Germany had a Kaiser; that ships were once propelled by large canvas sails; and that the invention of powered airplanes was a relatively recent development.

Lists like the one posted should serve more of a reminder of how much the world has changed, rather than an implication that today's young people are clueless or uneducated. They aren't - or at least any more so than my generation, or the ones that preceded it.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
As a young person (19) I'm certainly biased, but I feel like the older generations don't give enough credit to ours. These lists and statements are fun to read, but really lack a whole lot of truth to them.

The point is not literal truthfulness, it's that time marches on. The list is only saying that in their lifetimes, these things exist, or that, before they were born, they changed. They don't really believe that they've not heard of something that was around before they were born, but is no more.

I'm having trouble following what I wrote, but no time to rewrite...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.