Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
jc0481
macrumors regular

Not sure which path to take...Math Degree or Computer Science degree?

I like both actually. I have read from people online that have Math degrees and they are software developers. So that's a good sign. I just wanted to know if anyone here that reads my forum that has a math degree or currently studying for it. How are your job prospects?

Worst case scenario I obtain my Math Degree and have mountain of student loan debt with no job prospects. Also for the Computer Science degree: I keep getting interview after interview but keep getting turned down because of lack of experience.

Best case scenario: I graduate with my Bachelor degree and get a good job that pays really well a few months after I graduate.

I can take constructive criticism.
jc0481 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I used to think I wanted to go back and get a Ph.D. in math. The idea still pleases me, but I waited to late in life to get started. La V.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5

Anything computer science is just applied math in general and applied computer engineering, which is applied electrical engineering which is applied physics which in turn is just applied math.

Get what you like!

At any rate a math degree will at least fetch you a teaching job in the meantime.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Why not both? You take a lot of math courses for a computer science degree. You'll likely only need a handful more to complete a major in mathematics.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:49 PM   #5
lowbelly
macrumors member

I would be hesitant to hire someone with a math degree for a programming job, until they had enough experience to back it up. A math minor practically comes for free with a CS degree, that's the way I'd go.
lowbelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Anything computer science is just applied math in general and applied computer engineering, which is applied electrical engineering which is applied physics which in turn is just applied math.

Get what you like!

At any rate a math degree will at least fetch you a teaching job in the meantime.

Umm I am going to point out to you that Computer science is not just apply Computer Engineering. While yes they have a lot of over lap they come at things from very different perspectives.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:34 AM   #7
jc0481
macrumors regular

I just wanted to post an update. I went with a Math degree. After doing some more research I went with a Mathematics degree. I was looking into state assistance for my education and the state counselor that was helping me was concerned about job openings with my future degree. You see they only support certain degree programs and computer science was one of them. She showed me the list.

I then had to come up with 10-15 job openings from different job websites that math degree was one of the requirements for that job. I did not find 10-15 job openings. I founded 25 and only took me a few hours to look for it.
jc0481 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:30 AM   #8
63dot
macrumors 601

Congrats for choosing math. You will find work with either.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion