Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
I like both actually. I have read from people online that have Math degrees and they are software developers. So that's a good sign. I just wanted to know if anyone here that reads my forum that has a math degree or currently studying for it. How are your job prospects?

Worst case scenario I obtain my Math Degree and have mountain of student loan debt with no job prospects. Also for the Computer Science degree: I keep getting interview after interview but keep getting turned down because of lack of experience.

Best case scenario: I graduate with my Bachelor degree and get a good job that pays really well a few months after I graduate.

I can take constructive criticism.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Anything computer science is just applied math in general and applied computer engineering, which is applied electrical engineering which is applied physics which in turn is just applied math.

Get what you like!

At any rate a math degree will at least fetch you a teaching job in the meantime.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Why not both? You take a lot of math courses for a computer science degree. You'll likely only need a handful more to complete a major in mathematics.

lowbelly

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I would be hesitant to hire someone with a math degree for a programming job, until they had enough experience to back it up. A math minor practically comes for free with a CS degree, that's the way I'd go.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Anything computer science is just applied math in general and applied computer engineering, which is applied electrical engineering which is applied physics which in turn is just applied math.

Get what you like!

At any rate a math degree will at least fetch you a teaching job in the meantime.

Umm I am going to point out to you that Computer science is not just apply Computer Engineering. While yes they have a lot of over lap they come at things from very different perspectives.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
I just wanted to post an update. I went with a Math degree. After doing some more research I went with a Mathematics degree. I was looking into state assistance for my education and the state counselor that was helping me was concerned about job openings with my future degree. You see they only support certain degree programs and computer science was one of them. She showed me the list.

I then had to come up with 10-15 job openings from different job websites that math degree was one of the requirements for that job. I did not find 10-15 job openings. I founded 25 and only took me a few hours to look for it.
:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.