Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
You didn't run heavy tasks like gaming or video editing, 4k video watching, 3D/sound rendering for a week or so? Fans are running only on lowest speeds for a while?

My advice: Let the fans run on maximum speed for a minute or so at least once a week. It will blow through all the nearby hardware components and some dust and other small particles will leave your device. Do the "rush through task" immediately after you hoovered your room and cleaned your desk for being sure that you don't push even more dust into the device. Seriously you can take it into your (dry and clean, tiled) bathroom because it's always the room with less dust. No smoking during the task.

To accomplish this you don't need to open your device but download and install the free tool SmcFanControl (donationware, needs 10.5 or newer; source code @ github.com) and max out the settings for both fans. (Tested on rMBP. Read the FAQ. I am not the dev—just passing the info.)

smfcmenu.png

smfcsettings.png

The setting "max" is not provided by default so you have to add and save it manually as shown in the screenshots.

Edit: Okay nothing is as completely and thoroughly and efficiently than taking the device apart (you'll need some special tools—for the rMBP—and skills and take care of the warranty) but the "software solution" is clearly "better than nothing" and the life span of the device will be extended. :cool:

Last edited:

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
You didn't run heavy tasks like gaming or video editing, 4k video watching, 3D/sound rendering for a week or so? Fans are running only in lowest speed for a while?

My advice: Let the fans run on maximum speed for a minute or so at least once a week. It will blow through all the components and some dust will leave your device.

To accomplish this you don't need to open your device but download and install the free tool SmcFanControl (donationware, needs 10.5 or newer) and max out the settings for both fans. (Tested on rMBP.)

It takes me less than 10 minutes to unscrew, remove, and clean the fans on my late 2008 mbp :). I am saving on my electricity bill... ;)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Fact is, there's only one way to properly & completely clean out your computer. Plan to spend some time, so you're not rushed & take it apart.

Nothing beats taking your time to clean it, inspect it, and make that a semi annual routine. You'll be glad you did.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Or you can take the back plate off, clean it with dust off and know for a fact your actually getting rid of the dust.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
So it is okay to blow air into the fans? I've heard differing opinions on this, some people say it will push dust into the bearings. My MBP is only about a month old so I won't even try this for probably another six months or so. Maybe only once a year.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
So it is okay to blow air into the fans? I've heard differing opinions on this, some people say it will push dust into the bearings.

Good idea! Do the "rush through task" immediately after you hoovered your room and cleaned your desk. Seriously you can even go into your bathroom because it's always the room with less dust.

My MBP is only about a month old so I won't even try this for probably another six months or so. Maybe only once a year.

My rMBP is two months and I did it. It won't hurt.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2012
New York
For people saying to unscrew the laptop, it has screws you cannot find in a regular store. Apple ment for you to not open it.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
For people saying to unscrew the laptop, it has screws you cannot find in a regular store. Apple ment for you to not open it.

Only on the Retina model, my 2012 15" MBP has regular (though very small) philips-head screws.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012

Ya on the retinas. Obviously your not going to be tinkering around in there like you would with the cMBP which has little philips screws. You
Can buy a pentelobe screw driver on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.